Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Steve2 in LA||
These looked good, might be a little labor intensive. REC: Tamale Bites
Joined: Feb 6, 2006
Posted to Thread #19319 at 11:03 pm on Nov 7, 2010
Makes 40-48—depending on size of mini muffin tins!
2 cups MASA
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
½ tsp SALT
1 tsp GROUND CUMIN
1 1/3 cups BEEF STOCK
l cup VEGETABLE SHORTENING, melted
1 lb COOKED SHREDDED BEEF (or pork or chicken)
2 tsp MASA
1 Tbsp TOMATO PASTE
1 clove GARLIC, minced
1/3 cup chopped ONION
1 ½ tsp GROUND CUMIN
1 Tbsp FRESH THYME leaves, + extra for garnish
1-2 CANNED CHIPOTLE PEPPER, chopped
¼ cup SOUR CREAM
1 Tbsp FRESH LIME JUICE
SALT and PEPPER
QUESO FRESCO, crumbled
Heat a skillet over medium–high heat. Add the shredded meat, and following seven ingredients. Stir well and add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer. Simmer until all the liquid in rendered out--approximately 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350º F. Meanwhile, mix 2 cups of masa with the baking powder, salt and cumin. Add the beef stock and mix to a crumbly consistency. Pour in the melted shortening, mix until smooth.
Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Roll the masa mixture into small balls—about 2 tsp, each. Place one ball in each muffin cup and press with your fingers to make little shells.
Once the beef mixture has rendered out the liquid, stir in the sour cream and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Fill each masa shell with beef mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes. Allow them to cool 3-5 minutes before extracting them from the muffin tins. Use a small sharp knife to lift one side, then gently lift them out with your fingers. Garnish with crumbled queso fresco and thyme leaves. Serve warm!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Other messages in this thread:
- 19319. I'm in charge of the office Christmas luncheon this year...help - cheri - 6:04pm on 11/07/10 (10)
- Queso Fundido with Chorizo [NT] [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 6:24pm on 11/07/10
- Seven Layer Dip [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 9:12pm on 11/07/10
- These looked good, might be a little labor intensive. REC: Tamale Bites - Steve2 in LA - 11:03pm on 11/07/10
- I am so making these for my tamale loving crew. Thanks for posting this! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 6:22am on 11/08/10
- How about 'Mexican Sushi'? - cheezz - 1:05am on 11/09/10
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - these are TDF! >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 1:10am on 11/09/10
- If you want a beautiful, impressive dessert: Tres Leches Cake with Raspberries [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 11/09/10
- Don't hesitate to stack your enchiladas instead of rolling, serve cut portions... [NT] - Glennis_NoCA - 8:41pm on 11/11/10