Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
and Cook's Illustrated's Foolproof Pie Dough - odd recipe with Vodka but SO tender!
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #19415 at 3:48 am on Nov 24, 2010
Foolproof Pie Dough
For one 9-inch Double-Crust Pie. Published September 1, 2010. From Cook's Illustrated.
Vodka is essential to the texture of the crust and imparts no flavoródo not substitute. This dough will be moister and more supple than most standard pie doughs and will require more flour to roll out (up to 1/4 cup).
2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening , cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup vodka , cold
1/4 cup cold water
1. Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogenous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 19415. Anybody with a minute -I need a pie crust recipe for upside down pear tart. Any pie crust recipe T&T [NT] - elaine - 3:09am on 11/24/10 (3)
- Two favorites - Dorie Greenspan's Good-For-Almost-Anything-Crust that Meryl posted >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:45am on 11/24/10
- and Cook's Illustrated's Foolproof Pie Dough - odd recipe with Vodka but SO tender! - cheezz - 3:48am on 11/24/10
- I've used both recipes a lot and dearly love them both equally - the first is a little sweeter [NT] - cheezz - 3:49am on 11/24/10