Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Lana in FL||
Laurie Colwin's Damp Gingerbread
Joined: Oct 9, 2007
Posted to Thread #19494 at 9:06 pm on Dec 5, 2010
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Lyle's Golden Syrup (I use 3/4 cup pancake syrup, and 3/4 cup molasses)
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger (I use 2 tbsp)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan ( I use 8" square) and line the bottom with parchment paper. Melt the butter in the syrup in a heavy-bottomed pot (I use microwave). Meanwhile, sift together the dry ingredients. Mix syrup mixture and dry ingredients together well. Add egg, milk, and beat the batter for a couple minutes. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes before turning out.
Colwin says "The middle should be just set, with the edge pulling away from the pan, and a tester will bring out a few crumbs."
This is really a wonderful recipe, but I think I have to make the others posted here for comparison!
Other messages in this thread:
- 19494. ISO your favorite Gingerbread or cake or Festive Cake Thanks in advance [NT] - Ann - 12:27pm on 12/04/10 (6)
- Victorian Orange Cake with Chocolate Glaze (Just baked the cake this morning.) - Sylvia - 1:47pm on 12/04/10
- Sylvia, I am going to try your cake. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting. [NT] - Janet in NC - 5:43pm on 12/04/10
- Emily Luchetti's gingerbread recipe - daricem - 1:49pm on 12/04/10
- Terrific Dark, Spicy Soft Gingerbread [NT] [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 5:54pm on 12/04/10
- Laurie Colwin's Damp Gingerbread - Lana in FL - 9:06pm on 12/05/10
- this Chocolate Covered Gingerbread cake from EPI is lovely. I have made many for gift giving [LINK] - AngAk - 6:17pm on 12/08/10