Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #19642 at 2:13 pm on Dec 23, 2010
If you have butter, saltines, brown sugar and almonds - along with your chocolate - this is a winner. Quick, easy, makes a huge batch, and is loved by all. Bring it in cooler and replenish as it disappears.
Our friends and family beg for it!
It was the center of the pot luck lunch at my husband's office (they told him to bring it) - everyone stood at the tray and ate this first! Colleen
Almond Cracker Toffee
1 sleeve (or so) of saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (12 oz) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use 1/2 a bag of semi and 1/2 of milk to create stripes for different flavors in each bite)
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or whole, toasted, and chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15X10 pan with foil and butter liberally. Lay saltine crackers in a single layer across the bottom, breaking the last few to fit.
2. In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar stirring until they blend well. Boil for 2 minutes more then pour over the crackers. Spread the mixture evenly (I use a metal spreader/spatula). Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, lightly saute the sliced almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat with the tbs of butter. (Careful not to overcook!) Set aside. (****I skip this step and use toasted almonds chopped into large and small pieces - I didn't like the greasy almonds.)
4. Remove toffee from oven and top evenly with chocolate chips. Bake for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate to cover (I use the metal spreader again). Top with toasted nuts and lightly tap nuts with the tip of a knife to secure them in the chocolate. Cool completely.
5. Chill for 2 hours. Use the foil to release the toffee. Break into uneven pieces and serve.
There are recipes to make this with matzo or Fritos or pretzels.
Link: Almond CRACKer Toffee
Other messages in this thread:
- 19642. Calling chocolate people: Need to bring "something chocolate" for Xmas dinner,,, - MariaDNoCA - 11:07am on 12/22/10 (24)
- Choc cheesecake with ras]berries and wgite chocolate curls? [NT] - DawnNYS - 11:28am on 12/22/10
- Maria, what I have found... - Richard in Cincy - 2:16pm on 12/22/10
- Pain Au Chocolat Bread Pudding w/Cranberries and Chocolate Sauce - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:35pm on 12/22/10
- Yes, I've made this and it's very good :) [NT] - cheezz - 12:52am on 12/23/10
- White Chocolate Mousse cake with dark chocolate crust, it's frozen, so it should travel well - MoNJ - 6:14pm on 12/22/10
- oops, forgot to credit-Epicurious [NT] - MoNJ - 6:15pm on 12/22/10
- You rang?!! LOL. Here are my favorites: [NT] - Meryl - 7:05pm on 12/22/10
- Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 7:09pm on 12/22/10
- Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake (Also in T&T): [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 7:16pm on 12/22/10
- oh yeah!! [NT] - AngAk - 7:41pm on 12/22/10
- Can the 7 min icing live at rm temp overnight/travel? [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 12:08am on 12/24/10
- I've made 7-min. icing and it stays good for days. These cupcakes look wonderful! [NT] - cheezz - 6:36pm on 12/24/10
- Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake (in T&T) [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 7:20pm on 12/22/10
- REC: German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Filling - everyone LOVES this [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 12:55am on 12/23/10
- For a second dessert, here's a great recipe for truffles: Ghirardelli Sinful Chocolate Truffles [LINK] - Meryl - 1:14am on 12/23/10
- CRACK(er) Toffee [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:13pm on 12/23/10
- Chocolate Chunk Cake - lorijean - 3:04pm on 12/23/10
- Chocolate Truffle Tart - lorijean - 3:05pm on 12/23/10
- Maria, I've made CathyZ's "flourless cake" several times now (thanks, Cathy!!) [LINK] - MarilynFL - 3:29pm on 12/23/10
- Cathy's recipe is awesome - I've made it many a time! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:51pm on 12/23/10
- I've eaten it at Cathy's and it's even better there than when I make it in Zinzinnati! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:05pm on 12/24/10
- Well after all that I ended up with cupcakes -- Pepperment Twist ones [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 2:17am on 12/29/10
- Thanks for the review! I had this one set aside to try. Baking cups instead of wrappers?? - cheezz - 11:01pm on 12/29/10