Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My newest favorite is Marilyn O'Reilly's Irish Soda Bread. Thanks, charlie!
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #20419 at 8:53 pm on Aug 30, 2011
I'm so glad charlie posted this recipe way back when. It's fantastic!
Here's the recipe as listed on the Foodnetwork, along with my notes:
MARILYN O' REILLY'S IRISH SODA BREAD
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tbsp caraway seeds, optional (I used them)
1 cup raisins (or currants) (I used currants)
1 cup buttermilk (I used homemade)
Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. (I lined baking sheet with parchment paper).
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt and stir well to mix.
Add the butter and rub in until the butter disappears into the dry ingredients.
Stir in the caraway seeds if used and the raisins. (or currants).
In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and mix into the dough mixture with a rubber spatula.
Turn the dough out on a floured work surface (I used a well-floured silpat), and fold it over on itself several times, shaping it into a round loaf. (I used well-floured hands). Transfer the loaf to one cookie sheet or jelly roll pan covered with parchment or foil and cut a cross in the top.
Bake for 15 -20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes more, until well colored and a toothpick plunged into the center emerges clean. (I baked about 20 minutes, then reduced the heat and baked another 18-20 minutes).
Cool the soda bread on a rack and serve with plenty of sweet butter and bitter orange marmalade.
Makes one large loaf.
By Marilyn O' Reilly
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 20419. Welcome back everyone! What delicious things have you been baking or cooking the past few months? [NT] - Meryl - 8:49pm on 08/30/11 (21)
- My newest favorite is Marilyn O'Reilly's Irish Soda Bread. Thanks, charlie! [LINK] - Meryl - 8:53pm on 08/30/11
- You're welcome Maryl--just remembered- I've got one in the freezer [NT] - charlie - 11:24am on 09/01/11
- My, and my guests this summer, have become addicted to "Dirt Bombs" - CynUpstateNY - 10:36pm on 08/30/11
- Excuse me, did you say DIRT bombs? - Anna_X - 12:53am on 08/31/11
- That's exactly what they taste like. Don't know how they got the name.I used to make them for the - CynUpstateNY - 8:20am on 08/31/11
- Did any of you read about my Gumbo Academy adventure that I posted on our interim site? - Marianne - 3:09am on 08/31/11
- yes please!!! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 8:59pm on 08/31/11
- Shrimp and Red Peppers on Rosemary Sprigs. I subbed dried oregano and thyme for fresh... [LINK] - Marianne - 3:07pm on 09/01/11
- Mobile, AL Gumbo Academy Story and Recipe. It was so much fun, and the gumbo was great! [NT] [LINK] - Marianne - 4:47pm on 09/01/11
- I just made Jacques Pepin's Mustard-crusted chicken for the umpteenth time, first posted by Sandy [LINK] - Joe - 4:56am on 08/31/11
- I've made that recipe about 5 times since Sandy posted it. Yummy. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 2:29pm on 08/31/11
- I've used this recipe many times this summer. It's so easy, fast and delicious. [NT] - Sylvia - 8:01pm on 08/31/11
- That's 3 votes. It's time for this recipes to go into the Hall of Fame. [NT] - Sylvia - 8:05pm on 08/31/11
- It's already there. It's so great to have access to this content again. [NT] - Joe - 11:56pm on 08/31/11
- I've baked a lot this summer but [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 3:33pm on 08/31/11
- Ha! "...worthy of a Meryl essay." I like that! Meanwhile, who cares if the cake fell apart? It looks - Meryl - 7:59am on 09/01/11
- Breakage wasn't so much the problem as flowing caramel... [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 12:30pm on 09/01/11
- Funny, I used to dance under the name "Flowing Caramel" [NT] - charlie - 2:51am on 09/03/11
- I think I remember you, Flo! Is that you? I was Cassie Olé. - Joe - 2:58am on 09/03/11
- R-e-u-n-i-o-n !!! [NT] - charlie - 11:05pm on 09/03/11