Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Caramel Sauce (T&T):
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #20542 at 8:53 pm on Sep 22, 2011
From the poster: "You can use this on so many different things. By adjusting the cooking time, you can make it as thick as you like according to what you are going to use it on. I like to make it thicker to use on ice cream and thinner for desserts. I often double the recipe so I have some left over for later."
* 3/4 cup butter (I used unsalted)
* 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (I used a little more since I used unsalted butter)
* 3/4 cup evaporated milk
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Combine butter, brown sugar, water, and salt in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Bring to boil for 3 to 5 minutes depending upon thickness desired. (I boiled 5 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and stir in evaporated milk and vanilla. (My note: chill if you want a thicker consistency).
2 1/2 cups (My note: made about 1 1/2 cups).
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 20542. ISO do ahead need to steep, start thinking about 'em now, Holiday recipes/gift ideas - MariaDNoCA - 8:45pm on 09/22/11 (21)
- Marilyn's Dyslexic Chocolate Sauce!(use the adapted recipe w/corn syrup to prevent crystallization). - Meryl - 8:52pm on 09/22/11
- Caramel Sauce (T&T): [LINK] - Meryl - 8:53pm on 09/22/11
- My jar went to Joe's tunnel culvert lady since I'm allergic, can someone point me to the recipe? - MariaDNoCA - 10:02pm on 09/22/11
- HEre [NT] - Meryl - 11:31pm on 09/22/11
- My fingers slipped - As I was saying, here's the adapted recipe with the corn syrup: - Meryl - 11:54pm on 09/22/11
- Icebox cookies... I like to have several in the freezer for those quick gifts [NT] - cheezz - 10:39pm on 09/22/11
- Lemon Curd from Fine Cooking, which I believe you tried already. Lasts 2 months in the freezer [LINK] - Meryl - 5:05am on 09/23/11
- Oh yeah, waiting for the meyer crop to come in. About killed my gardener on Monday - MariaDNoCA - 4:26pm on 09/24/11
- Ha! "Lemon kryptonite!" Good one! [NT] - Meryl - 12:24am on 09/25/11
- Ghirardelli Sinful Chocolate Truffles > [LINK] - Meryl - 5:10am on 09/23/11
- How about quick breads, such as Cinnamon, Chocolate-Cranberry, or Strawberry? They all freeze - Meryl - 5:19am on 09/23/11
- Brownies also freeze very well. [NT] - Meryl - 5:20am on 09/23/11
- I make bunches of kinds of cookie dough and put it in the freezer - Melissa Dallas - 12:32am on 09/24/11
- How about chocolate covered pretzels? You can make chocolate and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 11:26pm on 09/24/11
- Another idea: Orange Chipotle-Spiced Pecan Mix - posted by Marsha tbay: [LINK] - Meryl - 12:56am on 09/25/11
- From my to-try list: Zesty Lemon Olives - Fine Cooking [LINK] - Meryl - 1:05am on 09/25/11
- If you want to make liquors, you have time to make lemoncello & fruit infusions. - Traca - 4:32pm on 10/01/11
- PS. I make infusions in a 5 gallon bucket & keep it in a closet. Siphon some off whenever I want - Traca - 4:34pm on 10/01/11
- PatNoCal, what was the name of that spice blend you add to oil for dipping? - Traca - 4:39pm on 10/01/11