Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This is a terrific soup: Lentil and Swiss Chard -- vegetarian, vegan, light lemony flavor
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #21448 at 4:11 pm on Jan 18, 2012
We served it at a restaurant I cooked at -- easily one of the favorites. It's gluten-free and vegan, but meat eaters still rave about this soup.
A couple notes:
*We used kale instead of chard.
*I sometimes add a bit of rice as it's simmering. The rice breaks down and acts as a thickener, for a more hearty soup.
Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving (optional)
1 large onion, finely chopped
Pinch of crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1 bunch green Swiss chard (1 1/4 pounds), ribs removed and reserved for another use, leaves coarsely chopped
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils with the water, stock and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the lentils are barely tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, crushed pepper and a pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add the chard to the lentils, cover partially, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, season with pepper and olive oil and serve.
NOTES ONE SERVING: 231 calories, 10.5 gm total fat, 1 gm saturated fat.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 21448. Need help with menu. We are having a memorial for my husband, a year after he passed away. Then we - elaine - 6:20am on 01/18/12 (29)
- I had something similar with soups - Anna_X - 6:31am on 01/18/12
- It's a good idea. I would have to have 2 sandwiches - one without dairy. Looking thru recipes I .. - elaine - 9:08am on 01/18/12
- Black Bean Patties With Cilantro and Lime - These are delicious - I've made them many times - [LINK] - Meryl - 9:26am on 01/18/12
- some ideas - cyalexa2 - 12:47pm on 01/18/12
- elaine, if you could do meat; you may consider Cheezz's REC: Curried Chicken Salad on Mini Croissant [LINK] - barb_b - 2:15pm on 01/18/12
- This is my favorite recipe for mulligatany soup. I believe someone posted it yrs ago on Gails [LINK] - barb_b - 2:20pm on 01/18/12
- I love saying the name of this soup almost as much as I love eating it. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:41pm on 01/18/12
- ((Thinking of you)) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:23am on 01/18/12
- (ditto) May it bring you peace. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:41pm on 01/18/12
- ((Yes, thinking of you and sending hugs)) I did this too at one yr. - MariaDNoCA - 8:17am on 01/19/12
- Thinking of you too Maria [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:28am on 01/19/12
- ((Maria,elaine,Anna and all who have lost)) thank you for the poem. a keeper. [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:39pm on 01/19/12
- This is a terrific soup: Lentil and Swiss Chard -- vegetarian, vegan, light lemony flavor [LINK] - Traca - 4:11pm on 01/18/12
- Curry-Almond Cheese Spread on Crostini - Traca - 4:29pm on 01/18/12
- Beautiful and delicious: Layered pestos and goat cheese [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 4:36pm on 01/18/12
- Caponata on Crostini (CathyZ recipe in T&T) makes a ton - MoNJ - 4:43pm on 01/18/12
- the foccacia at 21438 would be easy to cut up and serve in a basket. [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:45pm on 01/18/12
- Speaking of foccacia, it makes nice sandwiches. Split it horizontally, fill, then put back together - Joe - 8:52pm on 01/18/12
- You could also put put a nice selection of crackers...less work for you [NT] - cheezz - 3:19am on 01/19/12
- Thank you all so much. You are right that food is a sharing of love in the family and you all ... - elaine - 4:56am on 01/19/12
- did your DH have a favorite cookie or snack or something that could be included? [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:42pm on 01/19/12
- Oh that would be a nice touch. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 7:11pm on 01/19/12
- ((thinking of you too, Marg)) [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:16pm on 01/19/12
- (((Marg Yes))) I did all his favorite foods at the wake - MariaDNoCA - 10:19pm on 01/19/12
- Oh, a Viking tribute! [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:44pm on 01/20/12
- Ha! So true! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:03am on 01/28/12
- cooking and being in the kitchen helped me keep my mind occupied and not so lost. leftovers came in - AngAk1 - 7:00pm on 01/20/12
- Thank you both. [NT] - Marg CDN2 - 1:31am on 01/20/12
- Oh yes - beautiful touch [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:25am on 01/20/12