Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Apricot - Jalapeno Jelly
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #22459 at 4:13 am on Jul 13, 2012
Traca: It was originally given to me by Pat from No. Cal., but it looks like it was around the old swap for a while. Not sure who the original sharer was.
We made this last year and it was such a hit...great to give as gifts and also wonderful to have on hand for an easy, last minute appetizer. Spicy and sweet, it's just delicious.
Here's the recipe...(and probably a good candidate for T&T):
1/2 Cup Jalapeno Peppers, Stemmed and Seeded -- cut up
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Stemmed and Seeded -- cut up
2 Cups Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Cups Dried Apricots -- chopped
6 Cups Sugar
3 Ounces Liquid Pectin
4 Drops Red Food Coloring -- optional
Put jalapenos, red pepper and vinegar in a blender of food processor. Puree or pulse until coarsely ground with some small chunks remaining.
Combine apricots, sugar and pepper/vinegar mixture in a large saucepan (at least 6 quart). Bring to a boil Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; skim off any foam that forms.
Allow mixture to cool for 2 minutes. Then mix in pectin and food coloring if using it.
Pour into sterilized jars, seal and cool. (I processed the jars in a water-bath for 10 minutes.) Makes about 7 half pint jars.
Serving Ideas : With grilled meats or on crackers with cream cheese.
Source: Judy/MA and Marc Schermerhorn/Seattle
NOTES : Notes from author Nancy Gerlach: This recipe calls for apricots, but peaches, nectarines and pears work equally well. (I tried it with fresh peaches, and it did not set. Try dried fruit.) Any fresh green chile can be substituted for the jalapenos,depending on your taste and heat preference. Serranos will make it
hotter; roasted peeled New Mexico chilies will tame it down.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 22459. All dis talk of jam make me want to try! RU jammin'? How 'bout a favorite recipes/jar source thread? - MariaDNoCA - 10:08pm on 07/11/12 (36)
- Oh yes! I'm going broke buying jars. I remember someone ordered a case & got a gross I think. - Melissa Dallas - 1:27am on 07/12/12
- I bought 10 cases of jars from here and a case (24) of pectin here: [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 1:50am on 07/12/12
- Recipes?...Steve, I'm lookin' at you, oh Jam Master! :-D - MariaDNoCA - 1:56am on 07/12/12
- Maria, I posted several recipes above, in the jam string but if there's anything particular you're [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 2:05am on 07/12/12
- Maria, Recipelink has a canning section with lots of recipes. [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 2:18am on 07/12/12
- Was thinking it might be fun to get some of these all in one thread & save to great threads - MariaDNoCA - 2:24am on 07/12/12
- Thanks. You're way ahead of me this year. - Melissa Dallas - 2:03am on 07/12/12
- Does anyone have a recipe for pepper jelly and/or apricot pepper jelly? [NT] - Elenor - 2:19am on 07/12/12
- Click on this link for an Apricot-Pepper Jam . . . [NT] [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 4:52am on 07/12/12
- Thanks Steve. [NT] - Elenor - 5:14am on 07/12/12
- Here is the one I use. REC: Aunt Emme's Jalapeno Jelly - Dawn_MO - 1:02pm on 07/13/12
- a link to a thread on the platinum jars [NT] [LINK] - AngAk1 - 7:14pm on 07/12/12
- Rec: Onion Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 3:44am on 07/13/12
- CathyZ's family Strawberry Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 3:49am on 07/13/12
- Link to various Strawberry Jam variations [NT] [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 3:52am on 07/13/12
- I'm curious what 3 days sitting on a counter does for it other than invite bacteria. Anyone? [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:00am on 07/13/12
- REC: Raspberry-Plum Jam and Spicy Plum Sauce [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 3:57am on 07/13/12
- Rec: Blueberry Spice Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:04am on 07/13/12
- REC: Plum Orange Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:06am on 07/13/12
- Rec: Apricot - Jalapeno Jelly [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:13am on 07/13/12
- REC: Ripe tomato preserves and Tomato/Citrus Marmalade [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:35am on 07/13/12
- Rec: Zucchini Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:51am on 07/13/12
- REC: Australian Spiced Dried Fig Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 6:11am on 07/13/12
- Rec: Green Tomato and Jalapeņo Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 7:24am on 07/13/12
- Rec: Bourbon Bacon Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 7:30am on 07/13/12
- REC: Peach Jalapeņo Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 3:54pm on 07/13/12
- REC: Peach Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:15pm on 07/13/12
- REC: Eggplant Jam [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:25pm on 07/13/12
- Rec: Fig Jam and Black Fig Preserves with Honey & Wild Aromatics from Steve's post above [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:35pm on 07/13/12
- REC: Meyer Lemon Jelly, plus thread on lemon jelly at the link [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:39pm on 07/13/12
- Rec: Lavender Jelly, w/tips on remaking soft jellies @ link [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:47pm on 07/13/12
- Why yes, I'm trolling the archives...why do you ask? (hehehee) [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 4:58pm on 07/13/12
- Mmm, we used to get lavender candy when I was a kid. What would you eat this with? - Lana in FL - 2:38pm on 07/15/12
- Baked chicken w/ apricots and herbes de Provence. Croissants. Tarts. [NT] - ErininNY - 10:37pm on 07/15/12
- Oh, these sound delicious! [NT] - Lana in FL - 12:04am on 07/17/12
- Rec: Sweet Cherry Jam (linked recipe via, Barb below) [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 5:22pm on 07/13/12