Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My Belated Weekend Six
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #22486 at 6:21 pm on Jul 16, 2012
Friday night I decided I had to start cooking at home again, no matter what the temperature. So I made a risotto with zucchini and ginger. I improvised with some Fontina cheese that I had, which I think I liked even better than the Parmesan that the recipe called for. A salad with greens and a few grape tomatoes (our first!), both from the garden finished it off. I'm experimenting with a lot of different things - red lettuce, chard, and other greens - this year. More broccoli flowers for garnish. Pretty, and they have a nice, nutty flavor too.
Our power was off right after that so I also had to improvise with the blueberry-lemon dessert I had planned on making for a cookout. I ended up using a graham cracker crust and put a layer of whipped cheesecake (cream cheese, sour cream, and Cool Whip), thought about topping it with lemon curd (but didn't because I couldn't refrigerate the leftover jar, due to no power). Then I topped it with blueberries and a spring of mint from the backyard. Topped each piece with a dollop of more Cool Whip. It was great and was well-received by even the pickiest of the group. Recipe follows for anyone who is interested.
The cook-out. A beautiful day, on on the lake was even better. After dinner, we went out on one of the guys' boat and all was fine until the engine started beeping and then shut off. Outa gas, so we called 911 and got "rescued" (towed to shore) by the fire department's water boat. Actually quite relaxing and funny, seeing that land was never out of sight. Several hours longer than we had planned, but oh well. "The weather started getting rough, a tiny ship was tossed; if not for the courage of the fearless crew (and the fire department's rescue boat), the Minnow would be lost." No skipper, but we did have 2 Marianne's on board!
Oh I have to mention the blower fan in the car that was making a funny noise until suddenly rice came flying out of the vent. I don't wanna know, but I think it must've been related to the mouse incident from last week. :o(
Missed the lavender festival for the first time this year, but was kind of exhausted after Saturday. Sunday dinner was just green beans from the garden and microwaveable dinners - had to clean out the freezer for my ice cream maker that I'm buying this week tomorrow!
I did come upon a yard sale on the way to the party and bought some fun kitchen gadgets for 25 cents each! Banana slicer, cookie-sized spatula, vintage (or just old?) butter knives, looks like they might clean up nicely with some silver polish.
1 block (8-oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1 T lemonade concentrate
1 cup whipped topping
graham cracker pie shell
1+ cup blueberries
sprigs of mint and more whipped topping for garnish
Comine cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, and lemonade concentrate in a large bowl and blend well. I used a stick blender to incorporate a lot of air. Fold in whipped topping and pour mixture into pie shell. Top with blueberries (concentric circles make a nice presentation), and mint. Garnish each piece with more whipped topping, a few blueberries, and more mint, if desired.
How did the fool *get* his money?!
Other messages in this thread:
- 22486. Sunday Six - ErininNY - 8:03pm on 07/15/12 (16)
- My Sunday six [LINK] - barb_b - 2:11am on 07/16/12
- Barb that Cucumber Punch has become legendary here.. People are beggin for the recipe... - Richard in Cincy - 2:19am on 07/16/12
- That is a fun party! I hope you have your AC back. What are you thinking of serving? [NT] - barb_b - 2:26am on 07/16/12
- AC is being installed tomorrow!!! Haven't decided on noshies yet... - Richard in Cincy - 2:42pm on 07/16/12
- I keep wanting to try Michael's Grapefruit/Basil Martinis, but I take statin meds. Any sub ideas? [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:26am on 07/17/12
- Maria, ask your dr about how much grapefruit it would take to interfere with the meds. My DH did - AngAk1 - 5:24pm on 07/17/12
- A STEAM tax?! What will they think of next, really...? [NT] - ErininNY - 3:30am on 07/16/12
- Steaming the shrimp make it into a food that is ready to eat. Here in MO - Dawn_MO - 12:27pm on 07/16/12
- I agree. We pay sales tax at restaurants and take-out places but not on most groceries. - Joe - 4:37pm on 07/16/12
- Same here in NY. Just the other day I got some sliced turkey and also some - DawnNYS - 6:11pm on 07/16/12
- Hmm! I need to start paying more attention, clearly... [NT] - ErininNY - 6:33pm on 07/16/12
- My Belated Weekend Six - DawnNYS - 6:21pm on 07/16/12
- Dawn, your pie sounds wonderful. and I about spit coffee when reading about the rice! too funny. [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:49pm on 07/16/12
- Yes! The rice coming out of the vents was a fantastic image. (Sorry, though.) ;) [NT] - ErininNY - 9:46pm on 07/16/12
- yay for margaritas and chips---not a bad thing to be known for! record cold July here so far. you - AngAk1 - 6:42pm on 07/16/12
- and I made Cyn's fudge topping for some Texas sheet cake brownies and it was perfect. a bit thinner - AngAk1 - 6:53pm on 07/16/12