Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Dawn/NYS

My Belated Weekend Six

Veteran Member
dawndo4@graffiti.net
7390 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #22486 at 6:21 pm on Jul 16, 2012

Friday night I decided I had to start cooking at home again, no matter what the temperature. So I made a risotto with zucchini and ginger. I improvised with some Fontina cheese that I had, which I think I liked even better than the Parmesan that the recipe called for. A salad with greens and a few grape tomatoes (our first!), both from the garden finished it off. I'm experimenting with a lot of different things - red lettuce, chard, and other greens - this year. More broccoli flowers for garnish. Pretty, and they have a nice, nutty flavor too.

Our power was off right after that so I also had to improvise with the blueberry-lemon dessert I had planned on making for a cookout. I ended up using a graham cracker crust and put a layer of whipped cheesecake (cream cheese, sour cream, and Cool Whip), thought about topping it with lemon curd (but didn't because I couldn't refrigerate the leftover jar, due to no power). Then I topped it with blueberries and a spring of mint from the backyard. Topped each piece with a dollop of more Cool Whip. It was great and was well-received by even the pickiest of the group. Recipe follows for anyone who is interested.

The cook-out. A beautiful day, on on the lake was even better. After dinner, we went out on one of the guys' boat and all was fine until the engine started beeping and then shut off. Outa gas, so we called 911 and got "rescued" (towed to shore) by the fire department's water boat. Actually quite relaxing and funny, seeing that land was never out of sight. Several hours longer than we had planned, but oh well. "The weather started getting rough, a tiny ship was tossed; if not for the courage of the fearless crew (and the fire department's rescue boat), the Minnow would be lost." No skipper, but we did have 2 Marianne's on board!

Oh I have to mention the blower fan in the car that was making a funny noise until suddenly rice came flying out of the vent. I don't wanna know, but I think it must've been related to the mouse incident from last week. :o(

Missed the lavender festival for the first time this year, but was kind of exhausted after Saturday. Sunday dinner was just green beans from the garden and microwaveable dinners - had to clean out the freezer for my ice cream maker that I'm buying this week tomorrow!

I did come upon a yard sale on the way to the party and bought some fun kitchen gadgets for 25 cents each! Banana slicer, cookie-sized spatula, vintage (or just old?) butter knives, looks like they might clean up nicely with some silver polish.

Blueberry-Lemonade Pie

1 block (8-oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1 T lemonade concentrate
1 cup whipped topping
graham cracker pie shell
1+ cup blueberries
sprigs of mint and more whipped topping for garnish

Comine cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, and lemonade concentrate in a large bowl and blend well. I used a stick blender to incorporate a lot of air. Fold in whipped topping and pour mixture into pie shell. Top with blueberries (concentric circles make a nice presentation), and mint. Garnish each piece with more whipped topping, a few blueberries, and more mint, if desired.

How did the fool *get* his money?!

Other messages in this thread: