Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #22511 at 4:22 am on Jul 19, 2012
This is seriously one of the easiest desserts that I have ever made. It has only a few ingredients and all that you do is layer them, then throw it in the fridge- no baking required! This dessert is so fresh and yummy and reminds me of strawberry shortcake. Plus the chocolate ganache on top is the perfect finishing touch!
No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake (adapted from The Kitchn)
2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed
3 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 sleeves (about 19 ounces, or 24 to 28 whole crackers) graham crackers
4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
Take out a few of the best-looking strawberries and set them aside for the garnish. Hull the remainder of the strawberries and slice each berry into thin slices.
With a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 3 cups of cream until it just holds stiff peaks.
Add the confectioners sugar, vanilla, and almond extract (if using) and whip to combine.
Spread a small spoonful of whipped cream on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan, or a similarly-sized platter. Lay down six graham crackers. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with a thin layer of whipped cream, and then a single layer of strawberries. Repeat three more times, until you have four layers of graham crackers. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and swirl it lightly with a spoon. Add a few more strawberries.
To make the ganache, heat the remaining cream until bubbles form around the edges, then pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it stand for a few minutes, then whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy.
Drizzle this over the layered dessert with a spoon, or transfer to a squeeze bottle and use that to drizzle.
Refrigerate for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Garnish with additional berries.
<a href="http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/cheezz%20pics/?action=view&current=_iceboxcake_2228.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Finer_Kitchens/cheezz%20pics/_iceboxcake_2228.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 22511. Just got back from a very successful 1-week senior high school camp... - cheezz - 4:03am on 07/19/12 (47)
- REC: Inside-Out Cinnamon Rolls - cheezz - 4:04am on 07/19/12
- REC: Island Dream Muffins - cheezz - 4:07am on 07/19/12
- oh how I love Ludington MI! very fond memories of camping in the area. Pentwater st park [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:46pm on 07/19/12
- I've never heard of Ludington but I bet it would be worth checking out this B&B :) [NT] - cheezz - 7:09pm on 07/19/12
- it's on the west side, about half way up on Lake Michigan. I bet Deb knows where it is [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:14pm on 07/19/12
- Sorta of - can you believe I've never been there? [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:40pm on 07/19/12
- REC: Quintessential Coffee Cake - thanks Joe!! - cheezz - 4:10am on 07/19/12
- You're welcome! This is such a young crowd pleaser. Where was the camp? California? [NT] - Joe - 4:14am on 07/19/12
- Yes - California...at Petra Springs Christian Camp in the Tahoe National Forest [NT] - cheezz - 4:26am on 07/19/12
- Beautiful area! This is a great thread for feeding young people. It should be in Menus. [NT] - Joe - 4:01pm on 07/19/12
- It's there now...I still have a couple recipes to add to the thread though [NT] - cheezz - 7:17pm on 07/19/12
- REC: Snickers Cake - cheezz - 4:12am on 07/19/12
- REC: Seven Layer Bars - thanks CathyZ! - cheezz - 4:18am on 07/19/12
- REC: Cardamom Snickerdoodles - cheezz - 4:19am on 07/19/12
- REC: Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Swirl Fudgy Cookie - cheezz - 4:21am on 07/19/12
- Ha, love the contrast of the cookies on top and the fruit on the bottom. [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:55pm on 07/19/12
- Well, we wanted the parents to know we TRIED to give them healthy choices :) [NT] - cheezz - 7:10pm on 07/19/12
- REC: No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake - cheezz - 4:22am on 07/19/12
- just lovely! [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:56pm on 07/19/12
- So SO easy and fast - perfect dessert for a crowd [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 07/19/12
- REC: Parmesan Baked Potato Halves - cheezz - 4:28am on 07/19/12
- It's so much fun watching teens eat! Especially en masse. - Michael in Phoenix - 5:38am on 07/19/12
- 29 kids, 8 adults and 1 caretaker :) [NT] - cheezz - 5:52am on 07/19/12
- Nice work! Our situation was a bit different. The food looks GREAT. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 6:21pm on 07/19/12
- It's also a little like watching piranhas skeletonize a cow. ;) (Not these kids! Ones I taught.) - ErininNY - 10:13pm on 07/19/12
- So true! Just crumbs and bones left when they get through :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:38pm on 07/20/12
- REC: Barbacoa Beef (like Chipotle's) for burritos - cheezz - 6:38am on 07/19/12
- Love your pics! It looks so delicious, my mouth is watering and it is only 9:40 am!! Is that you.. - Barbara in VA - 1:40pm on 07/19/12
- I KNOW! It's 11:00 am and I'm trying to figure out where to score a tri-tip here at work. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:01pm on 07/19/12
- We got about 15 lbs of tri-tip for $90 at Costco and used it for 2 meals [NT] - cheezz - 7:14pm on 07/19/12
- That's my younger sis - I hate pics so I'm always behind the camera :) [NT] - cheezz - 7:12pm on 07/19/12
- Ditto - I want me some! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:42pm on 07/19/12
- UPDATE!! For anyone wanting to make the barbacoa, here are some additions... - cheezz - 4:59am on 07/25/12
- Cheezz, this all looks fabulous. I agree with Joe, it belongs in Menus. [NT] - LisainLA - 4:52pm on 07/19/12
- Ditto -- these all look fab! Great job! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:20pm on 07/19/12
- What a nice thing you did! I am sure it was lots of bonding time with your sis and the girls. You - barb_b - 5:32pm on 07/19/12
- where do I sign up? oh wait, don't think I can pass for a teenager anymore. will clean for food! [NT] - AngAk1 - 6:34pm on 07/19/12
- We could if we sent the kids outside and stole everyone else's reading glasses. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:05pm on 07/19/12
- Ha, that would work if we weren't the only 2 with reading glasses! [NT] - AngAk1 - 7:12pm on 07/19/12
- Clean for food??!!!! We would've stuffed you if we had someone to help clean! [NT] - cheezz - 7:15pm on 07/19/12
- You seriously raised the bar for camp food, I think! :) [NT] - ErininNY - 10:14pm on 07/19/12
- We both like to cook so it's homemade - they know us and would expect nothing less :) [NT] - cheezz - 4:39pm on 07/20/12
- Although, if you look at the recipes you'll see we aren't above taking shortcuts - cheezz - 4:41pm on 07/20/12
- Those were some LUCKY Campers!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:40pm on 07/19/12
- REC: Chicken for burritos - cheezz - 6:15am on 07/21/12
- REC: Oven-Fried Chicken - cheezz - 6:22am on 07/21/12
- REC: Sloppy Joes - cheezz - 6:23am on 07/21/12