Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Rec: Quick Posole
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #2539 at 10:50 am on Jul 6, 2006
This is a quick and easy version of posole that I use when getting rid of large amounts of roast pork (like tonight, I have 6 lbs. left over after the weekend and numerous left over dinners and sandwiches. Got to turn it into something else!).
3 Tbsp lard or oil
1 white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp mexican oregano
2 tbls ground New Mexican chili (see note below)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1/2 lbs roasted pork cubed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped green chile
3 cups cooked posole or 3 cups canned hominy
Heat lard and saute onion until it turns golden. Add the garlic, black pepper, cumin, cloves, and cayenne, stir and cook briefly to toast the chilies. Add the pork, cooked posole (or hominy), broth, green chile, and New Mexican chilies. Cover, simmer at 1 hour.
Serve with finely shredded cabbage, thinly sliced radishes, diced white onion (rinse in water to remove some of the bite), picante sauce, lime wedges, and corn tortillas. Garnish posole as desired.
Note: if using whole dried NM chilies: toast in cast iron skillet, don't burn. Remove seeds and stems. Put in blender with enough boiling water to cover. Let sit until water is warm. Process into a puree. Strain into pot through a wire mesh strainer to remove the bits of skin.
Other messages in this thread:
- 2539. ISO inspiration for leftover pork tenderloin that already - Denice - 11:22am on 07/05/06 (8)
- What about sliced in quesadillas or shredded into burritos? [NT] - hallie in fla - 2:36pm on 07/05/06
- Yes, I was going to suggest a Mexican-type solution- good one, hallie [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:39pm on 07/05/06
- I use leftover bbq to make 'bbq eggrolls'.... - Music City Missy - 5:16pm on 07/05/06
- How about a bbq'd pizza... - Dawn_MO - 9:02pm on 07/05/06
- BBQ Pork Fried Rice. Big Bowl restaurant does a great chicken one. [NT] - kpinky - 6:12am on 07/06/06
- Rec: Quick Posole - Richard in Cincy - 10:50am on 07/06/06
- pulled pork sandwiches - ellen - 12:46pm on 07/06/06
- Leftover tenderloins makes wonderful green chile pork enchilada filling. [NT] - LisainLA - 6:31pm on 07/06/06