Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Steve2 in LA

Lisa, this was an experiment that was more about marbling than anything else but here goes . . .

Veteran Member
2893 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #22638 at 7:43 pm on Aug 15, 2012

I think this was actually more complicated than necessary but I wanted to make a marbled banana bread so I separated ingredients to a certain extent, then tried a method I saw on-line.

The basics are two separate batches of the same banana bread batter. To one, I added a cup of mini-semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp Creme de Cocoa. To the other, I added 2 Tbsp freshly grated Ginger, 1 Tbsp Powdered Ginger, 2 Tbsp Ginger Liqueur and 1/2 cup finely minced Crystalized Ginger. (Add in wet ingredients when you incorporate other wet ingredients, dry ingredients, same-same.)

I put 1/3 of each batter in separate containers, prepped three 8" loaf pans with parchment paper (I rarely bake without it anymore) and proceeded to add alternating flavors to each pan.

This is my basic banana bread recipe. NOTE: It's been modified to reflect use for the above marbling. Yes, two batches will make 3 8"loaves although a single batch will make one 9 or 10" loaf. When used to make a stand-alone banana bread, I'll add chopped nuts (either toasted walnuts or pecans), 2 Tbsp of Banana Liqueur (my secret ingredient) and a tsp of Ground Cinnamon. Do NOT over mix.

cup CANOLA or CORN OIL
1-1/3 cups SUGAR
2 LARGE EGGS

3 large ripe BANANAS, mashed
6 oz container PLAIN GREEK (or BANANA) YOGURT

1 cups ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, sifted
cup WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
tsp BAKING SODA
tsp KOSHER SALT

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and parchment a loaf pan.

Cream together oil and sugar until it becomes lighter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Continue to beat until well combined. Mix in the bananas, liqueur and yogurt

Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into batter until just combined.

Bake on middle rack until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean 55-65 minutes. Cool bread in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Cool at least an hour out of the pan before slicing.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Other messages in this thread: