Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
OK, so here's my screw up. (CathyZ...please just walk on by)
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #22938 at 8:30 pm on Sep 30, 2012
Sometimes I think I'm not a bad cook and then the bubble does pop. So a week or so ago I was making a soup and decided to just make a quick bread to go with it. I found this recipe in the search posted by CathyZ and decided it would be perfect. I was having a bit of a bad day and well, I really made a huge mistake but didn't realize it. We took our first bite and both said...It's sweet. Interesting with black pepper and sugar? Anyway, it reminded me of the Salvadorian Breakfast bread with Parm in it. So later, we decided we really liked it but maybe cut down on the sugar a bit. I had cut the recipe in half for just a small pan and so I said, OK, it calls for 1/2 cup sugar so maybe cut it down to...???..what? It actually was supposed to be 1/2 TBS.!!! I put in 1/2 CUP! Ya know what? I'm gonna take credit for a new terrific sweet and savory quick bread. Onion and black pepper included! Yesterday I made two more. One, CathyZ's recipe and my new "unique" version. It's great with a cup of coffee in the morning. Oh, and Cathy? I know you're reading this...thanks for a great recipe and sorry I'm such a ditz. Except, I'm actually pleased with my screw up.
CHEESE AND PEPPER QUICK BREAD
2 cups white flour
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or Pepper Jack or a combo
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter
3 T onion, minced (optional)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of a loaf pan. In a bowl, combine the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix well.
In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, melted butter and eggs and blend them well (this is where I would put the onion). Add it all to the flour mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened- it will be lumpy. Pour into the greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cool 15 minutes and take out of pan to finish cooling.
Link: Cheese and Pepper Quick Bread
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may diet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 22938. OK, so here's my screw up. (CathyZ...please just walk on by) [LINK] - orchid - 8:30pm on 09/30/12 (5)
- Serendipity reigns supreme! [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 11:45pm on 09/30/12
- orchid, I have a small Tupperware container sitting at the present atop my flour bin w/ a mistake - wigs - 1:27pm on 10/01/12
- Ahhh, a girl after my heart. Find a way to make it happen! [NT] - orchid - 11:02pm on 10/01/12
- LOL- this is how new wonderful recipes are born! Congratulations [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:39pm on 10/01/12
- (smiling sheepishly...) [NT] - orchid - 10:56pm on 10/01/12