Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Pat-NoCal

And more fillings for these terrific wonton cups....

Veteran Member
6183 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #2619 at 5:34 pm on Jul 13, 2006

The filo cups are great but I've found using wonton wrappers to be even easier and achieve the same result. The book these come from is also a terrific resource for appetizers that would work great as amuse bouche, with lots of photos too. I recommend seeking out the book to browse for ideas and great recipes.

Filo Tartlets with Crab, Ginger and Lime
Makes 20

1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 lb. crabmeat
1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
juice of 2 limes (I used less, juice of about 1-1/2 limes)
1/2 cup cilantro, leaves stripped
1/4 red bell pepper, cut into strips
4 tbsp mayonnaise
salt, tabasco to taste
1 recipe filo tartlets (see recipe below)
1 lime, peeled and segmented (didn’t use as I thought it was tangy enough)

Toast seeds in a dry pan over low heat until golden brown, 3 minutes. Toss crab with ginger, lime juice, cilantro, pepper, mayonnaise and toasted seeds. Add salt and Tabasco to taste. Cut lime segments into 1/2-inch pieces. Divide crab among filo tartlets. Garnish with lime segments. Serve at room temperature.

Filo Tartlets with Smoked Chicken, Black Olives and Parsley Pesto
Makes 20

1 cup parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tbsp pine nuts
4 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt, black pepper
1 smoked chicken breast half (I bought it at Trader Joes)
1 recipe filo tartlets (see recipe below)
10 pitted black olives, sliced

Place parsley, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan, lemon juice, and oil in a food processor or blender; pulse to a thick paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut chicken into thin strips, 1/4-inch wide. Put 1 tsp pesto into each tartlet. Arrange chicken strips on top. (Pat's note: I put chicken in first then pesto on top for more colorful presentation). Garnish with an olive slice. Serve at room temperature.

Think ahead: Make pesto up to 3 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Fill tartlets up to 45 minutes before serving.

Filo Tartlets

1 4-oz. pkg. filo pastry
2 Tbsp. melted butter
pastry brush
2 12-cup miniature muffin pans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush one sheet of filo pastry with melted butter. With a sharp knife cut into 2- by 2-inch squares. Butter the muffin cups and line each one with four buttered filo pastry squares placed at slightly different angles. Repeat until all the filo pastry has been used. Bake to a deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully remove the tartlets from the cups and let them cook completely on a wire rack.

Cook’s Note: To prevent the filo pastry from drying out, cover with a damp cloth until ready to use. If the buttered filo sticks to your fingers, use the pastry brush to press the filo squares into the muffin cups. You can bake tartlets up to 1 month in advance. Store in an airtight containers at room temperature.

Source: Hors D’Oeuvres by Eric Treuille & Victoria Blashford Snell

Pat's notes: When transporting these to another location I recommend taking the filling(s) along separately and then filling the filo or wonton cups just prior to serving. The cups will hold up better that way and won't become soggy from sitting too long with the filling inside.

Other messages in this thread: