Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Need you ask?!! Cream Scones....
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #2687 at 11:44 pm on Jul 21, 2006
I can't even describe how wonderful these are! The others I have posted (made with buttermilk) are delicious, too, but these have such a delicate texture. Brackets are around my own notes.
(from Cook's Illustrated)
2 cups flour
1 tbl. baking powder
3 tbl. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbl. butter, chilled, cut in small cube
1/2 cup currants [or 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips]
1 cup heavy cream
Heat oven to 425 deg. Line baking sheet with parchment.
Put flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in food processor and pulse to combine. Distribute butter evenly over flour mixture and pulse with 1-second pulses. [not, I do not use a food processor so I do it in a mixing bowl with pastry blender].
Pour cream over, add either the currants or chocolate chips [I MUCH prefer the chips], and pulse until it starts to gather together.
Transfer to counter and knead about 5-10 seconds. Pat into an 8" round and cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges on parchment. Bake 12-15 min. until done.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 2687. ISO: your best alfredo sauce - cheezz - 10:10am on 07/20/06 (15)
- i;ve subbed far free half and haf for the cream successfully. [NT] - rvb - 10:18am on 07/20/06
- I like to mix in a bit of chopped stewed tomatoes with juice - makes it very flavorful [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 10:28am on 07/20/06
- Welcome, Cheezz! Here's an earlier thread on alfredo that might be helpful. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 11:28am on 07/20/06
- Here are two from Cooking Light... they're usually pretty good at keeping taste yet keeping it light - Carianna in WA - 11:39am on 07/20/06
- p.s. There's also something to be said for going whole-hog once in awhile! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 11:40am on 07/20/06
- Agree totally. I haven't had alfredo for eons but probably would request it for my "last meal" [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 12:01pm on 07/20/06
- Jane in LA, is that you??? So glad you made it over here. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:46pm on 07/20/06
- Yup, sure is... make any nice scones lately?! (nt) [NT] - cheezz - 10:24pm on 07/20/06
- Go check out daryl/GA's blueberry ones - it's on my short to-do list! [NT] [LINK] - Sandi in Hawaii - 3:35am on 07/21/06
- Sandi, I made these in the food processor and skipped the butter cutting/freezing step. - AngAk - 10:50am on 07/21/06
- (((Jane)))). No I haven't and I guess it's time. Have a favorite I should try? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 8:48pm on 07/21/06
- Need you ask?!! Cream Scones.... - cheezz - 11:44pm on 07/21/06
- Thanks, Jane, will be trying these verrrry soon. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:49am on 07/22/06
- Welcome - it's nice to "see" you here! [NT] - RuthAB - 3:00pm on 07/20/06
- Thanks all... wasn't sure if the half and half would work properly... - cheezz - 10:27pm on 07/20/06