Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
MarilynFL

Oh girlie...I can help you out here, having been in the same spot: Fish-O-Phobic Honey Mustard Cod

Veteran Member
16218 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #2763 at 2:32 pm on Jul 26, 2006

Edited from an earlier post at "The Site Formerly Known As Gail's Swap"

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 01:47:12 GMT

Rec: Easy Honey Mustard Baked Cod (for fish-a-phobics like myself)

My husband has finally reached the age where he worries more about the vagaries of health than whether his Godzilla-size jar of peanuts will suffice for an entire football game.

Somewhere between popping ginko biloba pills and checking his receding hairline, he asked that I serve seafood more often for dinner. Now while I promised to love and honor this man, nowhere was it mentioned that fish would be involved.

[By now, you may have reached the conclusion that I am somewhat aquatically-challenged. And while you would be absolutely right, that would be putting it kindly.]

I live on the Florida coast and firmly believe God placed me here due to proximity to seafood restaurants. Why risk dry, smelly fish when--for the mere price of a kidney or two--you can let a restaurant prepare it for you.

Alas, God did not have the foresight to leave me a trust-fund, so preparing our own meals is infinity cheaper.

Using the old trial and error method (leaning heavily toward the "error" side because Mr. Husband cannot stand undercooked fish and I cannot stand overcooked fish), this recipe has worked out to be easy, tasty, and dependable. It satisfies my husband's current health kick to add more seafood into his diet and I don't have to descale, debone or dehead anything.

Not bad for someone who hasn't enjoyed going into the ocean since "Jaws".

Baked Honey Mustard Cod (serves 3)

Melt 1 tablespoon butter and spread 1 tsp. on the bottom of an 8x8" or 6x10" glass pan.

Cut 1 lb of fresh cod into 3 pieces and lay in pan. (the cod should be about 3/4" thick. Fold very thin end pieces underneath so all fish is the same thickness. You can also use grouper or snapper. And, although I haven't tried it, I'll bet this would also work for halibut, haddock or scrod)

Spread the top of each piece with honey mustard salad dressing (Major edit to original: I currently use a Vermont honey-mustard salad dressing, but my original notes say I used Plochman's Honey Dijon mustard. I guess either will work, although I'd probably use less pure mustard than salad dressing.)

Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of prepared bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned crumbs--around 2 Tbls for each piece, more or less)

Drizzle the rest of the butter over the top.

Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

That's it!

Optional treat: If you have them, chop up 1/2
cup of pecans or pistachios and sprinkle over
the top. Bake 3-4 more minutes. Very nice
crunchy touch.

Please note: I've been baking this in a
counter-top toaster oven. Twenty minutes at
350 degrees in a glass dish may turn out
somewhat different in a regular oven baked in
a different dish. What to look for? The fish
turns solid white and flakes easily when a