Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Garlic Green Beans (I make these all the time) runner-up?
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #24762 at 6:08 pm on Jul 28, 2013
Garlic Green Beans
I got this recipe out of a Gilroy Garlic Festival cookbook, but I can't recall if it won a prize.
2 lbs fresh green beans
1/4 lb bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, mined
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Wash, trim, and cut beans into 2 inch pieces. Steam till crisp tender, about 7-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, fry bacon till crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, set aside. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of drippings. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper; cook till soft about 5 minutes. Add tomato, bacon, seasonings and simmer all for about 10 minutes to blend flavors. Add cooked beans and heat through. Note: I often make sauce a day ahead.
Maria's note: I like things with more sauce, so when I first made this I eyeballed enough green beans for say, 4. When I make this for a crowd I double the sauce and used 3 lbs of beans. Which feeds 12+ well (I had leftovers).
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 24762. It's Garlic Festival Weekend! What's your favorite recipe using garlic? - MariaDNoCA - 5:48pm on 07/28/13 (25)
- To get it started, thought I'd share some past winning recipes from my try files: [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 5:49pm on 07/28/13
- Jo's Baked Garlic Soup, first place at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in 1980 - MariaDNoCA - 5:52pm on 07/28/13
- Garlic Country Cornmeal Scones, won first prize at the 1996 Gilroy Garlic Festival - MariaDNoCA - 5:54pm on 07/28/13
- Spicy Garlic Butter Cookies with Garlic Goat Cheese & Honey, 1st place 2009 Gilroy Garlic Festival - MariaDNoCA - 5:55pm on 07/28/13
- Fettuccine Gloriosa (w/mussels & calamari) 1981 1st place Garlic Festival Winner - MariaDNoCA - 6:00pm on 07/28/13
- Kelly's Asian Chicken, First Place Winner in the first Garlic Festival, 1979. - MariaDNoCA - 6:02pm on 07/28/13
- Garlic Green Beans (I make these all the time) runner-up? - MariaDNoCA - 6:08pm on 07/28/13
- I think if you used some Greek seasoning in this dish instead of Italian, it would... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:15pm on 07/29/13
- I made these tonight and they are a hit. Family loves them. Very tasty sauté. - Michael in Phoenix - 2:30am on 07/30/13
- Glad you liked it, to short cut I often use jar garlic/Italian style tomato sauce [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 8:32pm on 07/30/13
- Hungarian Salami, First runner-up in the 1981 Gilroy Garlic Festival Cook-Off. - MariaDNoCA - 6:37pm on 07/28/13
- Killer Stuffed Garlic Bread - MariaDNoCA - 6:22pm on 07/28/13
- Real Basic: took 1-1/2 ounces butter and browned 10 minced cloves of garlic. . . - mistral - 3:31am on 07/29/13
- Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Garlic Broth [LINK] - Meryl - 7:26pm on 07/28/13
- Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic and Gorgonzola [LINK] - Meryl - 7:32pm on 07/28/13
- Rec: Roasted Garlic w/ Roquefort and Rosemary [LINK] - barb_b - 8:40pm on 07/28/13
- Rec: Pork with Garlic and Pepper (Muu Phat Kra-Tiam Phrik Thai) [NT] [LINK] - FloriSandy - 2:27am on 07/29/13
- REC: Minted tomatoes (don't try unless you have truly ripe tomatoes) - mistral - 3:24am on 07/29/13
- REC: Lindy's Sauce - LisainLA - 6:16am on 07/29/13
- Garlic Cream - deb-in-MI - 10:51am on 07/29/13
- This sounds really fantastic! [NT] - LisainLA - 4:42pm on 07/29/13
- It is:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 5:01pm on 07/29/13
- Deb, is there a brand or type of white wine you prefer to use with this? - LisainLA - 1:29am on 07/30/13
- I always drink Sauvingnon Blanc so that's what I use! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:12am on 07/30/13
- Thank you! :D [NT] - LisainLA - 5:34pm on 07/30/13