Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Brownie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel Buttercream
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #25256 at 12:18 am on Nov 4, 2013
I think someone posted this link recently...or I saw it on Pinterest...regardless, I sent it to my sis and she has made two batches. They will be served to 450 ladies at the Christmas tea!
Note: her changes are in parenthesis -- it made a little firmer buttercream so it doesn't squish out when you bite into it.
Brownie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel Buttercream
makes about 18 sandwiches
For the cookies:
7 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
3 T salted butter
1/2 tsp instant coffee crystals [my addition. cheezz]
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar [use only ¼ cup!]
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup plus 2 T all purpose flour
For the buttercream:
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar [use only 1 cup]
1/4 cup salted caramel sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream [leave out altogether]
1. Preheat your oven to 350°. Place the chocolate and butter into a small bowl, and microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring thoroughly after each 30 second interval. Continue until the butter and chocolate are completely melted (it only took me a minute, total), then stir in coffee crystals until dissolved. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer), combine the eggs, sugars and vanilla. Beat on medium for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is pale in color, and a bit foamy.
3. Add the (slightly cooled) chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, and combine well.
4. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture in 3 batches, mixing until just combined after each addition.
5. Allow the dough to sit for about 10 minutes; as the chocolate mixture continues to cool, the dough will firm up a bit, and be easier to scoop.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner (don’t skip this step; these cookies stick pretty fiercely, even with the silicone liner). Use a 2 teaspoon scoop to portion out cookies, about 2″ apart on the sheet pan.
7. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the surface of the cookies is cracked, and they are just set.
8. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet pan for about 3-4 minutes, and then carefully move them to a cooling rack. Using a very thin, flexible spatula to move them will help keep them from falling apart!
9. While the cookies cool, make the buttercream. Combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and salted caramel sauce in the mixer. If there is not enough caramel flavor in the buttercream, add more salted caramel sauce (one tablespoon at a time) until you achieve the desired flavor.
10. Pipe or spread the buttercream onto the bottom of half the brownie cookies, and gently sandwich a second cookie on top of the buttercream.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 25256. REC: Brownie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel Buttercream [LINK] - cheezz - 12:18am on 11/04/13 (0)