Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My Weekend Six...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #25370 at 4:06 am on Nov 26, 2013
1) The sourdough starter cyalexa2 sent me got here! Yay! Funny this started because I wanted good SF sourdough, but ended up with OK sourdough even though I'm 40 miles from SF, lol!
2) I ran out to BB&B and got the 11lb OXO scale, so I could feed the starter.
3) Today is day 3 and I haven't killed it yet! It's smelling like beer so, think that's good. I'm excitedly staring at this little blob of living thing like Dr. Frankenstein - waiting to scream it's alive, it's alive!
4) Went today to a new to me restaurant supply ISO an inexpensive food mill. (Yes, the potatoes.) This place was Costco sized, I should've been thrilled, but it was more of a meh. Got one, came home and found it on Amazon for $10 less. Moral of story: don't believe the faboo cheap/wonderful hype on Yelp.
5) Nobody told me there would be THIS MUCH MATH involved with making bread. And I haven't even made bread yet. Somebody somewhere is in *trouble*. This has me rethinking the scale. Maybe I should get <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B001NE0FU2">this Baker's Math Kitchen Scale</a> instead.
6) We, ok my SIL, made this Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares recipe as a demo now that she's selling Pampered Chef - and it was really good. I demo'ed using a hand crank FP to chop the ham, all the while wondering who would do this instead of just chopping with a knife, but then half the people bought it.
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/Shannons%20PC%20Party/IMG_2387_zps97ceff13.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_2387_zps97ceff13.jpg"/></a>
<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/4ebay_bucket/Food/Shannons%20PC%20Party/5328ee56-3342-483d-8285-1a386cbfb69a_zpsb59274df.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 5328ee56-3342-483d-8285-1a386cbfb69a_zpsb59274df.jpg"/></a>
Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares
2 cups (8 oz) grated Colby & Monterey Jack cheese blend, divided
1 pkg (22.5 oz) frozen toaster hash brown patties, thawed (10 patties)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
8 oz thickly sliced deli ham
4-5 green onions with tops, divided (about 1 cup sliced)
3 plum tomatoes
Additional coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly brush Large Bar Pan (15 1/2" x 10") with vegetable oil using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush. Grate cheese using Ultimate Mandoline. Crumble hash browns over bar pan; press gently into an even layer. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over hash browns. Bake 13-15 minutes or until crust starts to brown and cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, in Classic Batter Bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth using Stainless Whisk. Gradually add eggs and black pepper; whisk until smooth. On Cutting Board, coarsely chop ham using Food Chopper. Slice green onions, reserving 1/4 cup of the tops for garnish. Place ham and remaining green onions into (8-in.) Sauté Pan; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until hot. Stir ham mixture into egg mixture using scraper.
Remove bar pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Pour egg mixture over crust. Return bar pan to oven; bake 6-8 minutes or until center is set. Meanwhile, slice tomatoes in half lengthwise using Utility Knife; scrape out seeds and dice. Remove bar pan from oven; top with remaining cheese, tomatoes and reserved green onions. Sprinkle with additional black pepper, if desired. Cut into squares and serve using Mini-Serving Spatula.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 330, Total Fat 22 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 260 mg, Carbohydrate 15 g, Protein 15 g, Sodium 740 mg, Fiber 1 g
Cook's Tips: To soften cream cheese, microwave on HIGH 15-20 seconds or until softened. Whisk until smooth.
If desired, 2 cups cooked and crumbled bulk pork sausage (3/4 lb) or 1 lb bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled, can be substituted for the deli ham.
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 25370. Weekend Six - Carianna in WA - 1:20am on 11/25/13 (18)
- #5 made me laugh! That is the oldest / easiest way to clean a room! I did it as a kid; I think - barb_b - 2:00pm on 11/25/13
- the cookies----recipe or method please! do you press in the gummy bear after baking? [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:01pm on 11/25/13
- Ang, bake nearly all the way through - the bears melt in 2 minutes. My 3rd and final batch [LINK] - Carianna in WA - 1:53am on 11/26/13
- See, you went wrong with no. 6 -- TEEN girls should do their own laundry! - cheezz - 12:49am on 11/26/13
- To be honest, it's my favorite household chore. I let them clean their own bathroom, though. ICK! [NT] - Carianna in WA - 1:51am on 11/26/13
- But they will be living on their own soon enough and need to know how :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:44am on 11/26/13
- I agree about the bathroom - my goodness!! Boys are CLEAN compared to girls! [NT] - cheezz - 3:45am on 11/26/13
- They know how. I just like to do it. :) [NT] - Carianna in WA - 3:14pm on 11/26/13
- My Weekend Six... [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 4:06am on 11/26/13
- Maria, this looks really good! I think I will make this for Christmas morning! Tx for posting and - barb_b - 3:08pm on 11/26/13
- no fair posting this picture when I have only crummy yogurt to eat. looks so good! - AngAk1 - 8:05pm on 11/26/13
- It's really good - I had to hold back from having thirds. Very easy/quick to make too. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 11:05pm on 11/26/13
- BTW, the pan size is 15 1/2" x 10" - just updated it in the recipe. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 11:09pm on 11/26/13
- Mar, check out Maria's table cloth! I think that is the same that you and I have! [NT] - barb_b - 10:28pm on 11/26/13
- That's my SIL's tablecloth, but think I might have the same or close that fit my round table. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 11:03pm on 11/26/13
- Close, but not exact. Mine doesn't have the top stitching around each square. [NT] - MarilynFL - 10:00pm on 11/28/13
- it will be SF sourdough eventually - cyalexa2 - 8:33pm on 11/26/13
- I decided to wait to make the AP starter gven it would be ready on TG, might as well go for broke. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 11:02pm on 11/26/13