Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
barb, have you used the "crush" method? We don't like kale "as is" but if you
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #25970 at 12:30 pm on Apr 29, 2014
work a"lemony" vingairette into it by crushing the torn leaves with your hands for a few minutes, it releases, heck, I don't know...something...the leaves turn much darker and become tender. Most recipes say to do this step and the two restaurants we order it at do this. Larry calls it the Italian Massage.
It seems to tenderize the leaves. We also prefer organic kale because the torn/ prebagged stuff has a very chemical smell to it. Plus, our local grocer either freezes it or else gets it frozen--the LAST time I used this (before switching to organic) the torn leaves collapsed into a bunch of mush when I was crushinig them. Never again, she cried...shaking her fist at Winn-Dixie.
And again, having a lemony dressing is key for me. Along with tasty add-ins, like artichokes, heart of palm, red quinoa, diced tomatoes, cucumbers and parmesan cheese.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 25970. New (to me) salad ingredients combo that was really good - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:38pm on 04/27/14 (8)
- Sounds yummy and pretty! I just have not jumped over joy for kale. I try hard, but when push - barb_b - 1:49pm on 04/28/14
- I know what you mean but using baby kale helps. It is just so good for us it is hard to ignore it. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:09pm on 04/28/14
- barb, have you used the "crush" method? We don't like kale "as is" but if you - MarilynFL - 12:30pm on 04/29/14
- I think if I want to massage food for a few minutes it would be bread dough.just can't get onboard - AngAk1 - 5:50pm on 04/29/14
- I'm w/ you Ang.... Although I did not notice in the store if there was a distinction w/ baby kale - barb_b - 8:46pm on 04/29/14
- Honest, try it one time. Doesn't have to be "baby" kale--just - Charley - 7:53pm on 04/30/14
- Such a healthy salad, will have to try - Richard in Cincy - 10:27pm on 04/28/14
- Kale has been hard for me to get used to.. I am doing better... - KarenNoCA - 11:28pm on 04/15/16