Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Joe

Blue Corn Chiles Rellenos with Chipotle Sauce

Veteran Member
8089 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #26341 at 6:36 pm on Jul 13, 2014

Blue Corn Poblanos Rellenos.

From The Border Cookbook by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, based on a dish from Authentic Cafe in Los Angeles.

Sauce:
2 dried chipotle chiles
1 cups chicken stock
1 whole small tomato, preferably Roma or Italian plum, roasted
1/3 medium onion, chunked
1 garlic clove
tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
tsp. dried thyme
tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/8 tsp dried epazote (I used a few leaves fresh)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. Butter

Filling:
4 oz. Chihuahua or Muenster cheese, grated
4 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
4 oz. fresh creamy goat cheese, at room temperaturea (I used 6 oz. each goat and Jack)
2 Tbs. minced red onion
1 garlic clove, minced
tsp. dried epazote (I used 1 tsp. minced fresh)

6 poblano or other fresh mild green chile, roasted, peeled, slit open, seeds removed. (I used 12 small Anaheim chiles)

Coating:
cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
cup cream
1 cup stone-ground blue cornmeal
1/3 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground
tsp. salt

Vegetable oil for deep frying

To prepare the sauce, simmer the chiles with half of the stock for 20 minutes, or until very soft. Tranfer the chiles and stock to a blender. Add the tomato, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and epazote and puree.

In a heavy saucepan, warm the oil and butter over medium heat. Pour the sauce into the pan, being careful to avoid splatters as the liquid hits the hot oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced and somewhat thick. Stir in remaining stock and heat through. Taste the sauce and add more sat if you wish. Keep the sauce warm. (Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Warm the sauce before proceeding.)

To prepare the chiles' filling, mix together the ingredients in a bowl. Stuff the mixture equally into the chiles, binging the slit edges of each chile back together tightly. (My chiles shredded badly, but the coating held them together while frying.)

Place the flour in a shallow dish, whisk the eggs and cream together in another, and stir together the cornmeals, cumin and salt in another.

Pour 4 of oil into a heavy skillet or saucepan. Heat the oil to 350F.

Coat each chile in flour, dunk it in the egg mixture, and then into the cornmeal. Fry the chiles a few at a time for about 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned and crisped. Drain and serve immediately, on pools of sauce.

Other messages in this thread: