Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Apple Slab Pie from SmittenKitchen - took her idea and made tweaks
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #26756 at 6:04 am on Oct 1, 2014
This was a HUGE hit!
I used her idea but changed the filling. Instead, I reduced 3 cups of apple cider to 1/2 cup and replaced the cornstarch with instant tapioca which I pulverized. Used half Granny Smiths and half honey crisp. Spices stayed the same. Couldn't stop eating it!
Next time I'm using the grains of paradise :)
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 26756. Apple Slab Pie from SmittenKitchen - took her idea and made tweaks [LINK] - cheezz - 6:04am on 10/01/14 (18)
- Sounds *divine* [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:09am on 10/01/14
- Thanks to you I just ordered the correct size pan for this - sounds amazing!! Thank you Cheezz [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:04pm on 10/01/14
- My mom used to make this when I was a pup, but we always just called them Apple Slices. YUM! [NT] - wigs - 2:20pm on 10/01/14
- a staple at Indiana church pot-lucks! comfort food at its finest. [NT] - AngAk1 - 5:26pm on 10/01/14
- I love your tweaks. How did you know to pulverize the tapioca? It that a baker's trick? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 6:52pm on 10/01/14
- I like tapioca instead of cornstarch but not the round 'globs' of tapioca - cheezz - 12:25am on 10/02/14
- Geeze, cheez, this would be cheaper than buying that dang Minute Instant Tapioca. . . - mistral - 3:30am on 10/02/14
- Questions cheezz: What size tapioca did you buy? What brand? Thanks! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 3:32am on 10/02/14
- I just buy the Regular Kraft minute tapioca in the red/white box [NT] - cheezz - 1:45am on 10/03/14
- True :) Use a spice grinder if you have one. [NT] - cheezz - 1:43am on 10/03/14
- Where did you use the reduced apple cider? - deb-in-MI - 9:55am on 10/02/14
- Oh, it's stirred into the chunked up apples along with the spices and tapioca [NT] - cheezz - 1:46am on 10/03/14
- Got it -thanks! I'm having a lot of company next weekend and this will be a star attraction:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:36am on 10/03/14
- YAH!!! Guaranteed oohs and ahhhhs. When you reduce the cider... - cheezz - 3:20am on 10/05/14
- Another hint: I did this a lot when I had to make a sugar-free apple pie. Try to - MarilynFL - 4:51pm on 10/06/14
- Frozen apple juice works very well in recipes like this used - Charley - 11:27am on 10/02/14
- Me too please, I would also like to know how and where you added the reduced cider and what kind of - Barbara in VA - 4:33pm on 10/02/14
- Probably in the glaze where it says cider and she concentrated it? [NT] - Charley - 7:54pm on 10/02/14