Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Attention Mozilla Firefox users. Re: Back button problem
Joined: Dec 8, 2005
Posted to Thread #342 at 6:47 pm on Jan 6, 2006
Ok, I have done a LOT of research on this. This problem is a known bug in Mozilla Firefox going back to 2003. See the link at the end of this post to read the official bug report at Mozilla.com.
WHY does this happen at this site, and not others? Well, it does happen at other sites, actually, but not all other sites. This site sends a no-cache directive to the browser, telling it not to cache the page. This forces the browser to re-load a new version of the page every time you visit it. If it didn't do this, then whenever you viewed the Swap page, you would see the same version as the last time you visited (because the browser had cached it) and you wouldn't be able to see the new posts unless you manually refresh/reload the page.
The bug in Mozilla is that for pages that send the no-cache directive, it does not remember page placement when using the back button to return to a previous page. It thus goes to the top of the page. IE, Safari and Opera all work correctly in this respect, even for sites that send the no-cache directive. Unfortunately for Firefox users, the current status of this bug is "Nobody's working on this, feel free to take it." (see the Bug Report). So it doesn't look like it's anyone's priority at Mozilla right now.
So...since the problem is a bug with Mozilla, and the only way to fix it is for us to remove the no-cache directive, which would make everyone have to manually refresh the page in order to see new posts whenever they visit, I'm afraid there is nothing further I can do regarding this. Sorry! I tried.
If you want to be pro-active about this, visit Mozilla's Support Forum at http://forums.mozillazine.org/ and encourage them to address Bug #215405.
Link: Official Mozilla Bug Report
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -JRRT
Other messages in this thread:
- 342. Attention Mozilla Firefox users. Re: Back button problem [LINK] - Mimi - 6:47pm on 01/06/06 (5)
- Thanks, Mimi, for your helpful investigative reporting! [NT] - Debbie_in_GA - 10:45pm on 01/06/06
- Thanks so much for your efforts on this, Mimi and for everything you've done for us on this board... - Pat-NoCal - 1:35am on 01/07/06
- You're very welcome. I just wish I could have found a solution. - Mimi - 2:36pm on 01/07/06
- Back button - aajay - 5:18pm on 01/07/06
- Mozilla and Netscape use the same engine - Mimi - 7:17pm on 01/07/06