Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Quick Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato Sauce
Joined: Dec 18, 2005
Posted to Thread #328 at 1:37 am on Jan 7, 2006
I get requests for this recipe every time I make it for friends.
Quick Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato Sauce
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped basil (or parsley)leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
15 dried 7 x 3-1/2 inch no-boil lasagna noodles (I use Barilla)
3 cups cooked and seasoned vegetables (see below)
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (approx. 1 lb)
2/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil and garlic in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until fragrant but not brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes; simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a large measuring cup. Add enough water to make 3-1/2 cups.
2. Spread 1/2 cup sauce evenly over the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" lasagne pan. lay 3 noodles crosswise over the sauce, making sure they do not touch each other or the sides of the pan. Spread 3/4 cup prepared vegetables evenly over the noodles, 1/2 cup sauce evenly over the vegetables, and 3/4 cup mozzarella and 2 generous tablespoons of Parmesan evenly over the sauce. Repeat the layering of the noodles, vegetables, sauce, and cheese 3 more times. For the fifth and final layer, lay the final 3 noodles over the previous layer and top with the remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. (The lasagne can be wrapped with platic and refrigerated overnight or wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil and frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator.
3. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375F. Cover the pan with a large sheet of foil greased with cooking spray. Bake for 25 minutes (30 minutes if chilled**); remove foil and continue baking until the top turns golden brown in spots, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the lasagne rest 5 minutes. Cut and serve.
**I find 30 minutes is not enough if going from the fridge. You might want to allow something more like 45.
My favorite combination with this recipe is sauteed onion, mushroom, yellow squash, and zucchini with a little garlic. I do this all in the same pan, starting the mushrooms a minute or so before the others.
The moisture contecnt of the vegetable determines which cooking technique should be used when preparing it for the above lasagne. For example, high-moisture mushrooms are best sauteed, but low moisture broccoli, must be blanched, chopped, then sauteed.
Toss the vegetables with olive oil before roasting or saute them in olive oil. Season vegetables with salt and pepper as well as fresh herbs, garlic, or hot red pepper flakes, if desired.
Vegetable with Prep and Cooking Method:
Asparagus: Trim tough ends, slice in 1/2 lengthwise & cut into 1/2" pieces. Blanch until crisp tender (1 min.) Drain well, and saute til tender (3 mins.)
Broccoli/Cauliflower: Cut into florets; blanch until crisp-tender (2 min.) drain well, chop into 1/4" pieces, and saute until tender (4 mins.)
Eggplant: Cut into 1/2" dice; roast until tender (35 mins at 400)
Fennel: Cut bulb into v. thin strips; saute or roast until tender (15 mins for saute or 30 mins at 400)
Mushrooms: Trim and slice; saute or roast until golden (8 mins saute or 20 mins at 400)
Onions: Peel and cut into thin slices; saute or roast until soft and golden (5-7 mins for saute or 20 mins at 400)
Spinach/Swiss Chard: Wash, stem, chop. Saute til wilted (5 mins.)
Zucchini: Cut into 1/2" dice; saute or roast til tender, about 7 mins for saute or 35 mins at 400.
From The Complete Book of Pasta & Noodles
Other messages in this thread:
- 328. I need some new ideas for pasta dishes - Meryl - 12:41am on 01/05/06 (39)
- Always looking for an excuse to post and recommend this. REC: Penne pasta w/ asparagus & cashews - Carianna in WA - 12:51am on 01/05/06
- This recipe has garbanzos but it [NT] - Curious1 - 9:07pm on 01/05/06
- Sorry, my little finger disobeyed! I'm posting a URL for a pasta dish on Epi, - Curious1 - 9:08pm on 01/05/06
- FUSILLI WITH PORCINI PUTTANESCA SAUCE - Curious1 - 9:14pm on 01/05/06
- Here's one from GRS - REC: Roma Artichoke and Tomato Ragu - DawnNYS - 9:55pm on 01/05/06
- Wow! Thanks everyone - these all sound great! [NT] - Meryl - 10:46pm on 01/05/06
- a few options - AndreainDC - 10:48pm on 01/05/06
- Andrea, these sound delicious. There are several I would love for you to post >>> - Meryl - 11:00pm on 01/05/06
- Will post the recipes... - AndreainDC - 12:48am on 01/06/06
- Thanks Andrea. I hope you have these saved to file and aren't posting them from scratch! >> - Meryl - 2:09am on 01/06/06
- unfortunately kind of low-tech still... - AndreainDC - 2:58am on 01/06/06
- OMG, Andrea - unless you're a speed typist, this will be too much work for you. Maybe I should - Meryl - 3:28am on 01/06/06
- honestly don't worry! - AndreainDC - 3:35am on 01/06/06
- Well, you're a doll - I really appreciate it. Meanwhile ... - Meryl - 3:56am on 01/06/06
- wow - they all sound great! - AndreainDC - 4:48am on 01/06/06
- Well, I'm not exactly "technologically advanced," but - Meryl - 5:36am on 01/06/06
- thanks... - AndreainDC - 11:24am on 01/06/06
- You guys ar emaking me crave some serious PASTA!!!! Andrea, would you post the chicken & basil one? - Sandi in Hawaii - 8:32am on 01/06/06
- Sure, Sandi. - AndreainDC - 11:28am on 01/06/06
- REC: Pasta with Caramelized Mushrooms and Spinach - AndreainDC - 3:09am on 01/06/06
- REC: Spinach Linguine with Goat Cheese - AndreainDC - 3:17am on 01/06/06
- REC: Fettuccine Piccata - AndreainDC - 3:25am on 01/06/06
- Hi Andrea! Your recipes look great! Have you ever ... - GayleMO - 8:15pm on 01/06/06
- Hi Gayle. No, I haven't... - AndreainDC - 12:53am on 01/07/06
- REC: Oven-Baked Penne with Onions, Walnuts & Goat Cheese - AndreainDC - 3:33am on 01/06/06
- REC: Quick Rice Noodles with Charred Onions and Cilantro - AndreainDC - 3:47am on 01/06/06
- Tortellini Salad - AndreainDC - 3:53am on 01/06/06
- REC: Pasta with Roasted Mushrooms - AndreainDC - 4:42am on 01/06/06
- My alltime favorite pasta sauce recipe - buonappetito - 4:43pm on 01/06/06
- Thanks, buonappetitio - I found your recipe yesterday while ... - Meryl - 7:58pm on 01/06/06
- Sorry for the typo on your name, buonappetito! [NT] - Meryl - 8:13pm on 01/06/06
- I posted a few from Cathy Z in the favorites section, under pasta, that are really good... - Dawn_MO - 5:39pm on 01/06/06
- Will check them out. Thanks. [NT] - Meryl - 7:59pm on 01/06/06
- REC: Quick Vegetable Lasagne with Tomato Sauce - AndreainDC - 1:37am on 01/07/06
- REC: Noodles with Chiles, Chicken, and Basil - AndreainDC - 1:50am on 01/07/06
- Thanks Andrea! This sounds yummy - gotta try it soon! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:08pm on 01/07/06
- Pesto and Goat Cheese Quesadillas - AndreainDC - 1:58am on 01/07/06
- THanks Andrea, this looks great! I think I'll make one for breakfast :-o [NT] - LisainLA - 5:17pm on 01/07/06
- REC: Spaghetti with a Hole with Bacon and Tomato - uiguy - 7:25pm on 01/08/06