Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|sandra in new york||
REC: Machaca Mexicana
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #41 at 7:12 am on Dec 11, 2005
I'm putting this in here b/c it's such a pain to find it in the old archives anymore!
1 pound boneless beef chuck
1 cup water
1/4 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion -- chopped
1 California or Poblano chile,
roasted and peeled
2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
freshly ground black pepper
Place the meat in a large saucepan.
Add water, peppercorns, 1/4 onion and salt to
taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover
and simmer until meat is very tender, about
1 1/2 hours. Cool the meat in its broth.
Drain, reserving 1/3 cup broth. Shred the
meat with 2 forks or your fingers.
Mash the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt to
make a paste. Heat the oil in a large skillet.
Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Cook until
the onion is tender. Cut the chile into short
strips. Add chile strips and tomatoes to cooked
onion. Cook 3-4 minutes. Add meat, cumin and
freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook and stir
until meat is heated through. Stir in the
reserved broth. Taste and add salt if needed.
For each taco, place a spoonful of machaca on
a warm tortilla. Top with avocado
(mashed with lime juice and salt), chopped
raw onions, chopped cilantro and fresh salsa.
Fold tortilla and eat immediately
Other messages in this thread:
- 41. REC: Machaca Mexicana - sandra-in-london - 7:12am on 12/11/05 (7)
- This is one of my all-time favorite swap recipes... - Suzanne - 11:09am on 12/11/05
- Thank you for reposting this! - judy-mass - 5:32pm on 12/11/05
- Oh the group porjects.... - sandra-in-london - 2:40pm on 12/12/05
- bugger indeed..... - judy-mass - 5:27pm on 12/12/05
- ohla Sandra - response to your post on other site.... - Randi - 12:09pm on 12/12/05
- Sandra, thanks so much for resposting this - Richard in Cincy - 8:17am on 12/14/05
- How about a big pot of black beans? - sandra-in-london - 12:16pm on 12/17/05