Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Reduced Fat Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake - thinking of Meryl
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #28933 at 9:21 pm on Aug 10, 2016
When California Pizza Kitchen Butter Cake with Hagen Daz ice cream is 92 grams of fat/serving and Trader Joe's very yummy Toffee Pudding (bought before gallbladder-ageddon and now defrosted during the power outage) is 23 grams/serving, we've been searching for lower-fat cake!
So many great reviews for Meryl's bundt Cranberry Coffeecake! Her recipe looked promising. Figuring 16 good sized pieces (instead of 12), using her recommendation of non-fat yogurt to sub for the sour cream at 0 vs 48 grams/fat, and also subbing non-fat yogurt for half the butter - where 1/2 cup butter is 92 grams of fat. Considering the 10 grams for the eggs, now each tasty piece comes in around 3.5 grams. With a low-fat dinner, let them eat cake :-) Colleen
CRANBERRY SWIRL COFFEECAKE
* Colleen's notes: Per Meryl's suggestion, I subbed 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt for the 1 cup of sour cream AND 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt for 1/4 cup of the butter. Very moist and tasty!
I think that I will try using only 1 cup total of non-fat Greek yogurt: 3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream along with subbing 1/4 cup of the butter with Greek yogurt.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature*
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (Meryl used nonfat plain yogurt)*
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of fresh cranberry sauce, recommended - (to make the sauce, follow the directions on any package of fresh cranberries), OR one 8-ounce can of whole cranberry sauce
OR Cabernet Cran-blueberry sauce (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (*Decrease the temperature by 25 degrees if using dark pan.). Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs just until well blended.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer running, (lower the mixer speed), add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream (or yogurt) to the butter mixture until just blended. Do not overmix! Stir in the almond extract and mix only until just combined. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Swirl 1/2 of the cranberry sauce into the batter. Repeat, ending with the batter on top.
4. Bake about 55 minutes (ck at 45 min) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 10 minutes. Cut around edge of the cake to loosen, then turn out and let cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 1 - 9 or 10 inch tube pan (12 servings).
Adapted from Allrecipes
Cabernet Cranberry and Blueberry Sauce
adapted from http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/11/cabernet-cranberry-and-blueberry-sauce.html
1 1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon (or shiraz, merlot, or a favorite red wine)
1 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
12-ounce bag fresh/frozen cranberries
8-ounces fresh/frozen blueberries (about 1 1/2 cups), unthawed
peel from 1 orange zested (1/2 tsp dried orange peel)
1 tsp cinnamon
1.Combine wine and sugar in a medium to large pan, and bring to a rolling boil, stirring intermittently. Make sure pan has room for sauce to at least triple in volume. The juices from the berries release and as the mixture boils rapidly, it will foam and a too-small pot will easily overflow.
2.Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and allow sauce to simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until reduced and thickened slightly, and most of the cranberries have burst. Sauce will thicken more as it cools.
3.Transfer to heat-safe jars or containers with lids. Allow sauce to cool at room temperature before refrigerating. Sauce will keep airtight in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.
Link: Meryl's Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake
Other messages in this thread:
- 28933. Rec: Reduced Fat Cranberry Swirl Coffeecake - thinking of Meryl [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 9:21pm on 08/10/16 (0)