Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Twice Baked Potatoes
Joined: Dec 23, 2005
Posted to Thread #3290 at 1:42 am on Aug 31, 2006
Twice Baked Potatoes
4 large russet potatoes, each about 3/4 lb.
each, scrubbed and dried
2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1 block Neufchetal cheese
1 bunch scallion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
chopped cooked bacon - one pack
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the potatoes directly on the rack in
the center of the oven and bake for 30
minutes. Pierce each potato in a couple spots
with a fork and continue to bake until
tender, about 30 minutes more. Remove
potatoes from the oven, and turn the heat
down to 375 degrees F.
Hold the potato with an oven-mitt or towel,
trim off the top of the potatoes to make a
canoe-like shape. Reserve the tops. Carefully
scoop out most of the potato into a bowl.
Take care to leave enough potato in the skin
so the shells stay together. Mash the potato
lightly with fork along with 2 to 3
tablespoons of the butter, Neufchetal cheese, cheddar cheese and sour
Stir in the scallion, bacon and season with
salt and pepper, to taste. Season the skins
with salt and pepper. Refill the shells with
the potato mixture mounding it slightly.
Brush the reserved top with the
remaining butter and season with salt and pepper.
[can freeze at this point and either reheat from frozen or defrost in fridge and then bake]
Set the potatoes and lids on a baking sheet,
and bake until heated through, about 20
minutes. Serve immediately.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3290. ISO: Looking for great one-dish make and freeze meals (more) - Cath in V - 6:48pm on 08/30/06 (15)
- you can't beat lasagna. [NT] - rvb - 6:53pm on 08/30/06
- It's amazing what you can freeze. Coq Au Vin, Beef Burgundy>>> - orchid - 7:16pm on 08/30/06
- vicchysoise minus the cream. [NT] - rvb - 7:20pm on 08/30/06
- Cath, I have to do freezer meals about twice a year as we have - Barb - 7:21pm on 08/30/06
- Homemade chicken pot pie (single serve) is one of my favorites... - RuthSF - 7:42pm on 08/30/06
- Thanks for the great ideas...I need to get motivated and do this [NT] - RoseM - 12:25am on 08/31/06
- Chili found in the freezer has saved the day for me many times. [NT] - AnnNoVA - 7:26pm on 08/30/06
- what was your oldest vintage? [NT] - rvb - 8:25pm on 08/30/06
- Joe's recipe for Julia's Chicken Crepes. Check up above in T&T for some great recipes. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 9:29pm on 08/30/06
- Rec: Chicken Tetrazzini - MiainMD - 1:27am on 08/31/06
- There's a great book called "frozen assets" that discusses - MiainMD - 1:29am on 08/31/06
- What Foods Can't Freeze - MiainMD - 1:39am on 08/31/06
- Rec: Twice Baked Potatoes - MiainMD - 1:42am on 08/31/06
- Thanks so much for all the suggestions, great ideas. (nt) [NT] - Cath in V - 9:08pm on 09/03/06