Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here are two more ginger-and-pear recipes--also one of my fave combos.
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #3343 at 4:49 pm on Sep 3, 2006
Enjoy! Sorry to say I can't remember where I found these recipes.
Pear Coffee Cake with Ginger Pecan Crunch Topping
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup chopped pecans
1 slightly beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups chopped ripe pears
Mix together flour, sugars, salt, nutmeg and oil. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping, and add ginger and pecans to this to make the topping.
To the remaining mixture, add the pears. To this, add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and baking powder.
Spread in greased 9" x 13" x 2" sheet pan.
Sprinkle topping over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
PEAR CRUMBLE WITH CRYSTALLIZED GINGER
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats (or nuts)
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter (smaller) 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until moist clumps form.
3 pounds firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
Combine pear slices and lemon juice in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to blend.
Transfer filling to prepared dish. Sprinkle topping over. Bake crumble until pears are tender and topping is golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes. Cool at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3343. Pear time. My pears are screaming to get off the tree & some are committing suicide already. I love - Marg CDN - 8:55pm on 09/02/06 (9)
- REC: Pear Nut Cake by Judy in Mass - Marg CDN - 9:00pm on 09/02/06
- REC: Toffee Nut Pear Cake by Cyndi - Marg CDN - 9:22pm on 09/02/06
- Here's one from Icarus in Boston that I love.. - clofthwld - 11:05pm on 09/02/06
- Thanks clofthwld. I love a ginger & pear combination. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:42pm on 09/03/06
- Here are two more ginger-and-pear recipes--also one of my fave combos. - ErininPrague - 4:49pm on 09/03/06
- Thank you Erin. I'm sure I'll do both. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:19pm on 09/05/06
- Marge, your mailbox is full. I can't send you a msg. still! [NT] - Marsha tbay - 12:13am on 09/03/06
- Aaah. Right. Sorry, I didn't realize that I had to empty Trash. Such a fancy site! Now at empty. [NT] - Marg CDN - 4:42am on 09/03/06
- Add my vote for favorites. [NT] - AngAk - 9:11pm on 09/05/06