Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Classics: Coq au Vin
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #30233 at 6:59 pm on Apr 14, 2018
2 lbs. chicken pieces
4 oz. butter
4 oz. bacon
24 pearl onions
8 oz. button mushrooms
4 cloves of barlic (garlic)
1/2 cup flour
2.5 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup cognac
1.5 cups burgundy
1 tbls. minced fresh thyme
2 tsp herbs de provence
2 bay leaves
12 slices bacon, rolled up and secured w. toothpicks
Heat half of butter in heavy casserole. Add whole peeled onions and diced bacon. Cook until the onions are lightly browned. Remove from pan.
Add chicken to pan drippings. Saute until browned on all sides. Removed from pan.
Add halved mushrooms and crushed garlic to pan. Cook gently until mushrooms are tender but not browning. Don't let garlic burn. Remove from pan.
Add remaining butter to pan drippings. When melted, stir in flour to make a roux. Stir and cook until the roux is golden brown. Be careful to scrape and stir and do not let it burn. Remove the pan from the heat and blend in the chicken stock. Return to heat and bring to a boil while stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the brandy, burgundy, herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
Return the chicken and vegetables to the casserole. Cover, bring to a boil. Put covered casserole in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350 or until chicken is tender. Place bacon rolls on a sided baking sheet and roast with the chicken until browned and crispy.
Arrange the chicken and vegetables on the serving platter. Place extra sauce in a gravy boat to pass. Garnish with bacon rolls and minced fresh parsley. We like it with mashed potatoes, green salad, and garlic bread.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30233. Classics: Coq au Vin - Richard in Cincy - 6:59pm on 04/14/18 (5)
- Ooh what a nice version! I will make it. Not sure about barlic though LOL [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:34pm on 04/14/18
- But I love barlic! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:33am on 04/15/18
- Does anyone make barlic? Bacon and garlic, DRN (D rooling R iight N ow)! (nt) [NT] - mistral - 5:21pm on 04/15/18
- Mmmm nice one! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 6:33pm on 04/16/18
- Thanks for this recipe! - colleenmomof2 - 10:49pm on 04/19/18