Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
A few ideas for you...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #30739 at 7:54 pm on Feb 3, 2019
First off, my style of cooking is verrry similar to what CathyZ does at her house, though I confess to grabbing a Costco rotisserie chicken more of then than she does and just LOVE how many meals I can get from that one $4.99 chicken including making a lovely stock from the bones and the stock gets used to make yummy soups, stews, etc.
We cherish leftovers for lunch the next day and often find the flavor has improved too.
Some thoughts that come to mind....you can get a lot of mileage from casseroles, soups, stews, chili, pasta dishes, meatloaves, and eggplant dishes like ratatouille, caponata, eggplant parmesan, or my new fave: Lebanese Baked Eggplant. Most of these items can make quite a few servings -- a meal for Day 1, then leftover for Day 2 and a bit to freeze in individual portions for future meals. Worth the amount of time you put into a dish to save you time and effort down the road with little sacrifice in flavor/texture for many of the dishes mentioned. Quiche and frittata also yield a good number of portions. And lasagna will yield quite a few portions -- as I recall, your DH loves your lasagna. Filled pastas like manicotti, cannelloni and stuffed shells would also be lovely. Enchiladas filled with cheese or beef or chicken or pork chile verde. Make a batch of spaghetti sauce, divide and freeze into portions you can just pull out and reheat then toss with fresh cooked pasta (and homemade meatballs that you can also freeze ahead), then pair with a salad and wallah, a quick-ish meal on a busy worknight.
Let us know if you would like any particular recipes....happy to post some.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30739. ISO Food prep: Pre made dinners - EvaN - 8:45am on 02/03/19 (27)
- Are you going to freeze the food? Or are you planning to make several from - Charley - 12:01pm on 02/03/19
- I can both freeze and keep it in the fridge. I am planning on making - EvaN - 2:23pm on 02/03/19
- Eva! Hello! Love seeing you pop in. [NT] - MarilynFL - 4:17pm on 02/03/19
- Hi Marilyn, I keep dropping back in here now and then when I look for recipes, but I don't always - EvaN - 6:29pm on 02/03/19
- Eva I have never purchased takeout food and I work full time. I cook every day and have a tip or two - CathyZKauai - 6:47pm on 02/03/19
- I love your ideas, Cathy. And thanks for sharing the recipes - I haven't - EvaN - 8:04pm on 02/03/19
- A few ideas for you... - Pat-NoCal - 7:54pm on 02/03/19
- CathyZ's Caponata is lovely and can be used in so many ways - Pat-NoCal - 8:03pm on 02/03/19
- a fish idea for you... Sandra's Red Snapper Veracruzana - Pat-NoCal - 8:15pm on 02/03/19
- I really agree about reheating fish dishes. This recipe looks delicious but fish - Charley - 8:35pm on 02/03/19
- I tend to agree with you. The only fish I've had success reheating is bacalao, which - EvaN - 10:38pm on 02/03/19
- Since you mention bacalao, do you make brandade? That would reheat. [NT] - Charley - 8:54pm on 02/04/19
- In regular rotation here is Stuffed Zucchini and Red Bell Peppers but I use only colorful bell [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 9:33pm on 02/03/19
- LOL I was going to post stuffed zucchini and also a stuffed peppers recipe, Pat [NT] - CathyZKauai - 2:56pm on 02/04/19
- Oooh, please do. Would love to see 'em, especially the stuffed zucchini. My current favorite - Pat-NoCal - 3:43pm on 02/04/19
- Ah, yes, I did post...Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats (at the link) [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:46pm on 02/04/19
- Just ran across this 7-day plan on Chocolate and Zucchini [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 1:26pm on 02/05/19
- Salads in a jar. Here is a link to 30 of them!! We had a quickly made dinner with DD last - Charley - 11:45am on 02/07/19
- I totally agree about ready-made salads! Great suggestion, Charley! - colleenmomof2 - 2:39pm on 02/07/19
- REC: Becky's Celery Seed Spinach Salad Dressing [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:48pm on 02/07/19
- Thank you, dressing looks delicious and different from the myriad of others I have. Printed. [NT] - Curious1 - 4:18pm on 02/07/19
- Curious, I edited to add a list of spinach salad toppings - colleenmomof2 - 4:26pm on 02/07/19
- Thanks, got it. [NT] - Curious1 - 8:07pm on 02/07/19
- Mason Jar Meals from Big Red Kitchen [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 3:14pm on 02/07/19
- Salmon patties are good to have in the freezer for quick sandwich dinner or with rice etc. - AngAk1 - 6:46pm on 02/25/19