Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Dorie Greenspanís Almond Cracle Cookies
Joined: Jan 8, 2006
Posted to Thread #30816 at 1:52 am on Mar 15, 2019
Simple and good
6 tablespoons (75 grams) sugar
1 large egg
1-1/4 cups (125 grams) sliced almonds blanched or unblanched
Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat it to 325 degrees F. Depending on how you want to make these, generously spray two regular muffin tins (make sure youíre using bakerís spray) or line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Have a small cookie scoop or a teaspoon at hand.
Whisk the sugar and egg together in a bowl for a minute or so, until well blended and just a bit thick. Add the almonds and whisk until evenly coated with the mixture. You need to use the batter right away ó it separates as it stands. In fact, itís good to give the batter a stir or two as youíre spooning it out.
Each cookie needs 2 teaspoons of batter. For muffin tins, use your fingers to spread the batter evenly over the base. For free-form cookies, scoop the batter onto the baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches of space between the mounds of batter, and flatten each mound with the back of a fork.
Bake the muffin-tin cookies for about 17 minutes and the baking-sheet cookies for about 20 minutes, rotating the pans midway through baking. The cookies should be toasted-almond beige, and dry and crackled on top. Transfer the baking sheets or tins to racks and let the cookies cool for about 10 minutes.
To remove the cookies from the muffin tins, work a blunt knife around each cookie, then slip the knife under, tilt it and pop the cookie free. Or carefully lift the free-form cookies with a wide spatula.
If your kitchen is cool and dry, you can keep these in a tin or paper bag overnight. Keep them longer, and they might soften, a condition easily reversed: Place the cookies on a lined baking sheet and warm them in a 350-degree-F oven for about 6 minutes; cool on the sheet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 30816. Suggestions/Recipes - Have 2 pounds of sliced almonds I must use up...any recipes [NT] - GayR - 10:19pm on 03/14/19 (21)
- Why must you use them up? - judy-mass - 10:49pm on 03/14/19
- Expiring soon and not convenient to freeze them at this time..... [NT] - GayR - 11:02pm on 03/14/19
- How about making a Romesco sauce? [NT] - judy-mass - 11:56pm on 03/14/19
- judy, actually looking for sweet recipes not savory..... should have specified that.....thanks [NT] - GayR - 12:19am on 03/15/19
- Dorie Greenspanís Almond Cracle Cookies [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 1:52am on 03/15/19
- Toffee candy uses up a lot of almonds, chopped and sliced. [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:32pm on 03/15/19
- CRACKer Toffee [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:30pm on 03/18/19
- Richard's Salty Cracker Toffee Bark [NT] [LINK] - colleenmomof2 - 2:31pm on 03/18/19
- I'm still dreaming about this and fighting the urge to make another batch.. Winter diet... - Richard in Cincy - 4:01pm on 03/24/19
- OrigCyn's Red Raspberry Almond and Chocolate Passion Cake uses 1-1/2 cups (not T&T) [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:52pm on 03/15/19
- cheezz's Best Peach Crumble [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:53pm on 03/15/19
- Would you consider something sweet and savory like this Raspberry Brie en Croute - Pat-NoCal - 3:01pm on 03/15/19
- Cyn/UpstateNY's Energy Bars [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:03pm on 03/15/19
- Lots of biscotti recipes call for almonds...like Charlie's Sweet Almond "Biscotti" [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:07pm on 03/15/19
- Lots of good ideas. You might extend them a bit if you can vac seal them. [NT] - Charley - 3:15pm on 03/15/19
- Thank you Judy, Melissa, Marilyn, and Pat so many great recipes....appreciate them all [NT] - GayR - 3:22pm on 03/15/19
- You're welcome, Gay. And don't forget that you can grind them to make almond meal or almond flour, - Pat-NoCal - 10:32pm on 03/15/19
- How about making almond paste? Luisa_Calif posted this REC. See link. [NT] [LINK] - wigs - 7:22pm on 03/15/19
- Did anyone else feel the earth shift on its axis when GayR asked US for recipes? [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:05pm on 03/17/19
- YUP!!!!! :-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:38am on 03/18/19
- Marzipan! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 4:01pm on 03/24/19