Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
CathyZ from Kauai

I adore pot roast. Here is the method I use

Veteran Member
3895 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #3478 at 5:38 pm on Sep 12, 2006

This is the only way I make pot roast; it is how my Mom made it, probably my Grandmother too. I make it in a large pot on TOP of the stove.

Dredge your roast in a little flour and brown on all sides in a large pot in some hot oil (just enough to brown the meat.) Pour off the rest of the oil if there is a lot at the end of browning. Now add veggies- all that you have. Then add a bay leaf or two, some thyme or oregano, (I also use Beau Monde or Herbs de Provence) pepper and a little salt. Pour about 1 cup wine and 2 cups beef broth (low sodium) over the top, put the cover on the pot and let simmer for several hours- 2-4.

At the end I generally thicken the juices to make a gravy- and I cook for a while longer to make certain the flour taste is cooked out.

Beets are not something I personally would put in a pot roast but then again, I have not tried it. I generally use carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, onions, garlic and sometimes parsnips and green beans.

Some of you are most likely thinking that the veggies would get too "done" simmering with the meat for so long and yes, they do- but the flavor and combo of the veggies and meat that just falls apart that is so very appealing.

Other messages in this thread: