Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Black Magic Cake..
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #3535 at 8:19 pm on Sep 14, 2006
I've made this cake many times - it's delicious and easy - Very moist, fluffy, and deep chocolatey. I usually do this in two 9-inch rounds, but have also made it in a 9x13 pan, and it turned out equally well.
BLACK MAGIC CAKE
2 cups sugar (I use about 1 1/3 cups)
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa (or cocoa of choice)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water (I use brewed espresso)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (My note: If using 9-inch rounds, grease the bottom and sides of pans, line with parchment paper, then grease the paper and dust with cocoa powder or flour - I use cocoa powder).
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from (9") pans to wire racks. (9x13 can be cooled in pan on wire rack). Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3535. ISO good cake recipe for a 9x13 pan...(more) - starburst - 1:33pm on 09/14/06 (24)
- Rec. Here's an easy Lemon Sheet Cake - Marsha tbay - 2:57pm on 09/14/06
- I can't wait to try this one; we really love lemon!! [NT] - RoseM - 4:15am on 09/15/06
- Rec. Earthquake Cake...another easy - Marsha tbay - 4:15pm on 09/14/06
- I don't think there is a better cake on the planet than the Texas sheet cake. - pkline - 4:32pm on 09/14/06
- Rec: Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake - GayleMO - 4:48pm on 09/14/06
- sounds good.. .is this a moist cake? - starburst - 6:03pm on 09/14/06
- Oh, yes, and so rich. - pkline - 9:14pm on 09/14/06
- PS forgot to mention this is easily make mocha.... - GayleMO - 3:39pm on 09/15/06
- White Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake - GayleMO - 4:51pm on 09/14/06
- PS - A 9x13" pan works fine for both these. [NT] - GayleMO - 4:52pm on 09/14/06
- Rec: Hot Milk Cake and Fresh Fruit Cake - rhoward2va - 7:20pm on 09/14/06
- The hot milk cake looks really yummy and different. Thanks. [NT] - AngAk - 9:04pm on 09/14/06
- It's a family heirloom recipe - rhoward2va - 9:46pm on 09/14/06
- Ooh! I've never had the white chocolate version. Is it as good as the original? [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 2:17pm on 09/15/06
- It's good, for white cake, but how can it beat chocolate????? - GayleMO - 3:35pm on 09/15/06
- REC: Tres Leches Cake [LINK] - Debbie_in_GA - 4:58pm on 09/14/06
- REC: Black Magic Cake.. - Meryl - 8:19pm on 09/14/06
- BTW, if you decide to go for a layer cake instead of 9x13, I have a great one for Devil's Food Cake - Meryl - 8:31pm on 09/14/06
- Chop Suey Cake - AngAk - 8:55pm on 09/14/06
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake - AngAk - 8:56pm on 09/14/06
- Up in T&T Stupidly Simple are 2 good and easy cakes - AngAk - 8:59pm on 09/14/06
- Ooh, definately this one too. I think I've had it, called Velvet Cake? Thanks. [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:52pm on 09/29/06
- Coca Cola Cake by rvb [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 9:43pm on 09/14/06
- how's a gal supposed to avoid carb city with all of these tempting recipes?! willpower=0. [NT] - wildwoods - 1:17pm on 09/15/06