Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: NLB's Indescribably Delicious Banana Bread (can't believe no one has posted this one...)
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #3634 at 3:48 am on Sep 22, 2006
Banana Bread done NLB's Way
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 RIPE bananas -- mashed
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons buttermilk
2 cups AP Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon salt
TOPPING FOR AFTER BAKING
6 tablespoons butter
10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
5 tablespoons milk
1 cup pecans -- chopped
This is outstanding and makes two large loaves and I always ending up giving one to a neighbor.
The topping is what really makes this so delicious.
Preheat oven to 350°
Cream butter and sugar.
Beat 2 eggs
Add to the bananas with vanilla and buttermilk
Mix well and add to creamed butter and sugar.
Sift together flour, soda and salt.
Add to banana mixture, beat well.
Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until bread pulls away from sides of pan.
Melt butter in saucepan.
Add sugar and milk.
Cook until very syrupy.
Remove from heat and add chopped pecans.
Pour over bread spreading to all the corners.
Place under broiler until bubbly and brown.
I didn't have milk so I substituted Dark Karo Syrup. You can't hardly mess this great recipe up.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3634. Care to share recipes to make in those paper loaf pans Mar is sending out, either sweet or [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:24pm on 09/21/06 (66)
- Great Idea Pat! Here's one I am planning to try...REC: Chocolate Banana Bread [LINK] - GeorgiaRose - 3:34pm on 09/21/06
- Brother Rick's Orange Cranberry Bread (T& definitely T; originally posted by Olga) [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 4:24pm on 09/21/06
- HEY MARILYN!!!! my name is rick... - rvb - 11:49pm on 09/21/06
- Sills? You're in, bro (just don't tell Frank, <Joan>, Jim, Lynda, Karen, Paul or Sarah). [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:00am on 09/22/06
- Cinnamon Quick Bread in T&T [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 5:20pm on 09/21/06
- REC: Chocolate Cranberry Bread - Meryl - 5:23pm on 09/21/06
- REC: Pumpkin Ribbon Bread - Meryl - 5:30pm on 09/21/06
- REC: Cranberry Raisin Bread - Debbie_in_GA - 5:23pm on 09/21/06
- Recipe: Bread of Barbados (Delicious, had posted this on Gail's) - GayR - 5:43pm on 09/21/06
- Recipe: Chocolate Almond Pumpkin Bread - GayR - 5:55pm on 09/21/06
- Recipe: An American Place Pepper Bread ( [NT] - GayR - 7:06pm on 09/21/06
- Recipe: An American Place Pepper Bread (Chef Larry Forgione) - On all my Holiday Tables! - GayR - 7:23pm on 09/21/06
- I love pepper, I must try this recipe. Thanks! [NT] - LLR - 7:53pm on 09/21/06
- Disregard above. [NT] - GayR - 7:27pm on 09/21/06
- Sorry, meant to say disregard post with nt. [NT] - GayR - 7:52pm on 09/21/06
- Here's the best Lemon Bread recipe I have ever tried - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:58pm on 09/21/06
- Do you think I could use lime instead of lemon in this recipe? >> - EvaN - 7:48am on 09/22/06
- Yes- I have used lime with great success [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:03pm on 09/22/06
- I made this last weekend and it was so easy and good. I doubled it and added 1c of whole wheat, - AngAk - 5:17pm on 09/26/06
- C.I.'s Quick Cheese Bread (& Bro. Rick's Cranberry Orange).. - Stephanie-Oh - 6:03pm on 09/21/06
- A nice savory alternative. Thanks! [NT] - AngAk - 7:23pm on 09/21/06
- This sounds really good! - LLR - 7:48pm on 09/21/06
- Thanks! I was looking for a good cheese bread recipe. [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 9:17pm on 09/21/06
- This reminds me of another T&T- Cheese and Pepper Quick Bread - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:57pm on 09/21/06
- How much onion do you like to use, Cathy? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:01pm on 09/21/06
- oops- 3T minced. Thanks, Pat- I fixed it. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:42am on 09/22/06
- Don't you just love that edit feature?! Thanks, Cathy. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:56am on 09/22/06
- My fav Banana Bread - darylGA - 2:31pm on 09/25/06
- This is a recipe for Date &Nut Bread that I have been making for (m) - Misplaced in AZ - 6:28pm on 09/21/06
- Apple Praline Bread - LLR - 7:04pm on 09/21/06
- This Harvest Bread from GayR is delish. - AngAk - 7:04pm on 09/21/06
- I second this bread--it is really good! [NT] - Barbara in VA - 10:47pm on 09/21/06
- Cafe Creme Chocolate Nut Bread With Coffee Cream Glaze - LLR - 7:07pm on 09/21/06
- OH, rumble in my tummy...... *slurp [NT] - GayleMO - 2:48am on 09/22/06
- I knew there was something familiar about these LLR posts - is that you, hAndyman? Welcome! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 3:32am on 09/24/06
- I was wondering the same thing when I read Andy, hope you're right . Andy, if it's you we've missed - Pat-NoCal - 1:57am on 09/25/06
- Cinnamon Bread - LLR - 7:08pm on 09/21/06
- This sounds lovely, and an easy batter yeast bread. Wish I could find cin. chips up here. [NT] - AngAk - 7:16pm on 09/21/06
- That's why God invented the Post Office. How many bags would you like? I'm going - MarilynFL - 7:21pm on 09/21/06
- Thanks for the offer Marilyn! I' m going to our natural foods store today to see if they can get - AngAk - 7:29pm on 09/21/06
- This bread is easy and really delicious, great toasted too! [NT] - LLR - 7:35pm on 09/21/06
- Spiced Fig And Walnut Bread - LLR - 7:33pm on 09/21/06
- Fantastic offerings, thanks everyone. Keep 'em comin'. :o) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 8:49pm on 09/21/06
- Great post Pat, what an array of great sounding recipes, - Dawn_MO - 9:29pm on 09/21/06
- REC: Eggnog Almond Quick Bread - BobbiJoAZ - 9:22pm on 09/21/06
- From the 1950s- our family Maraschino Cherry Bread - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:03pm on 09/21/06
- Rec: Cornmeal-Pear Bread - Barbara in VA - 11:03pm on 09/21/06
- REC: Earth Bread from Cyn posted at Epi - Barbara in VA - 11:12pm on 09/21/06
- What is AP flour? [NT] - Marsha tbay - 1:40am on 09/22/06
- Marsha it is shorthand for "all purpose". I always use unbleached AP flour in my baking. [NT] - Barbara in VA - 1:43am on 09/22/06
- REC: Oatmeal Carrot Cake Bread - Barbara in VA - 11:13pm on 09/21/06
- One more--REC: Carrot Quick Bread - Barbara in VA - 11:34pm on 09/21/06
- Hey Barbara, the 250 F didn't sound right, so I checked the Epi archives, and it should be 350 F. [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 1:50am on 09/22/06
- Thanks Meryl for catching that typo! I edited it to correct it. [NT] - Barbara in VA - 9:39am on 09/22/06
- Can you get Red River Cereal in the US? [NT] - Marg CDN - 1:38am on 09/22/06
- I've never seen it - what is it like? [NT] - LisainLA - 5:12am on 09/22/06
- Really good, a bit like Bob's Red Mill 10 grain, [NT] - Nan - 9:49am on 09/22/06
- My favourite porridge. It's a central Canadian mix of grains; I'm sure I saw it somewhere on US - Marg CDN - 2:53pm on 09/22/06
- Okay, I dug it up anyway. Because it's good for us all. #25 [NT] - Marg CDN - 8:42pm on 09/22/06
- oh. i get it now. breadpans! - rvb - 1:52am on 09/22/06
- LOL! ((smootch)) [NT] - LisainLA - 5:10am on 09/22/06
- Rec: NLB's Indescribably Delicious Banana Bread (can't believe no one has posted this one...) - GayleMO - 3:48am on 09/22/06
- Gayle, this is up in T&T and it calls for baking soda instead of powder. I remember Carol / Astana - AngAk - 8:48pm on 09/22/06
- Thanks for catching this, Curious! I had it saved a couple of places - GayleMO - 3:16am on 09/23/06
- Great Thread everyone - I'm loving it:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 1:18pm on 09/22/06
- REC: Red River Cereal Date & Nut Loaf - Marg CDN - 8:35pm on 09/22/06