Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's it> REC: Brussels Sprouts with Raisins
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #3963 at 6:18 pm on Oct 16, 2006
Brussels Sprouts with Raisins
Cavoletti di Bruxelles all’Uvetta
From: Classic Sicilian Cooking by Mimmetta LoMonte
2 ½ lb. Brussels sprouts - stem, bottom and outer leaves removed
2/3 - 3/4 c. olive oil
1 large onion - small dice
½ c. raisins
½ c. walnuts (I use pine nuts) - broken into small pieces
½ t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper - finely ground
Boil sprouts until al dente, 5-15 min. depending on size. They should be firm, not soft.
In a very large skillet, heat oil until smoke is barely visible. Add onion and stir about one minute. Add sprouts, raisins and walnuts and cook on high heat 5-8 min.
Turn off heat and add salt and pepper. Serve hot.
(I normally add a little anchovy and often use currants instead of raisins)
If I don't add anchovy, I always add a little balsamic vinegar.
Sometimes I wonder if I follow recipes at all. They are like red lights in Italy....just a suggestion.
Other messages in this thread:
- 3963. Recipe: Roasted Cauliflower, Raisins and Anchovy Vinaigrette - GayR - 9:59pm on 10/15/06 (18)
- Ooh. You reminded me of a very similar one I have for brussels sprouts. I'll get it. This is good [NT] - Marg CDN - 10:33pm on 10/15/06
- Here's it> REC: Brussels Sprouts with Raisins - Marg CDN - 6:18pm on 10/16/06
- That's the sign of a really good cook, me..I follow the recipes, but wish I had the knowledge to do - Curious1 - 8:33pm on 10/16/06
- You do have the knowledge. You cook often and with interest; you just have to DO IT. There's - Marg CDN - 3:36pm on 10/18/06
- Thanks for the vote of confidence, you do inspire me. When I start thinking about it, I do make - Curious1 - 3:19pm on 10/20/06
- I'm the opposite. I often wing it and sometimes have big disasters. LOL [NT] - AngAk - 5:08pm on 10/20/06
- Thank you Marg, this looks good. I have a recipe for Brussels Sprouts with cream if you are - GayR - 10:38pm on 10/16/06
- Absolutely thank you. I like them but have a difficult time getting Watzisname to eat them. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:48pm on 10/17/06
- This T&T recipe with bacon and hazelnuts is so good too. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 5:38pm on 10/17/06
- Marg, Here is the recipe - Creamy Brussels Sprouts - GayR - 8:08pm on 10/17/06
- good one. Thanks Gay. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:33pm on 10/18/06
- Marg, My pleasure and a big thank you to you for all the great recipes you post. [NT] - GayR - 4:30pm on 10/18/06
- Glorified Brussels Sprouts - OrigCyn - 11:12am on 10/21/06
- REC: Brussels Sprouts Dijon - OrigCyn - 11:16am on 10/21/06
- REC: Saucy Brussels Sprouts TNT 4**** - OrigCyn - 11:19am on 10/21/06
- Another winner Gay--just picked up a large head of cauliflower at Abma's yesterday [NT] - charlie - 10:56pm on 10/15/06
- Rec: Fettuccine With Cauliflower, Pine Nuts, and Prosciutto...reminded me of this main dish pasta - Curious1 - 4:34am on 10/16/06
- Thank you for posting Curious1. This looks good. [NT] - GayR - 3:20pm on 10/16/06