Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
oh meryl, you'll like these...chewy, chocolatey, gingery and t&t, Rec. chewy choc gingerbread
Joined: Aug 3, 2006
Posted to Thread #4061 at 6:33 pm on Oct 22, 2006
though i just realised they don't use candied ginger...but they're still worth making.
1.5 cups plus 1 tbsp ap flour
1 and 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 lb unsalted butter, room temp
1 tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 tsp boiling water
7 oz semisweet chocolate, in 1/4" chunks (hey, here's a good use for my ss choc!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
line 2 baking sheets with parchment. in med bowl sift together flour, spices and cocoa. in bowl of mixer with paddle, beat butter and ginger (the fresh ginger) on med speed till lightened, about 4 minutes. add brown sugar, beat till combined. add molasses, beat till combined.
in small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. mix in chocolate. turn onto plastic wrap. pat out to a 1" thickness and seal with wrap. chill till firm, 2 hours or overnight.
preheat oven to 325. roll dough into 1.5" balls. place 2" apart on baking sheets and chill 20 min. (think i just rolled balls and kept in bowl in fridge till ready to bake). roll in granulated sugar. bake till surfaces just beging to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating half way through. cool 5 minutes theyn transfer to wire rack to cool. makes 2 dozen.
martha stewart, holiday cookies 2001
i could very calmly go wild.
Other messages in this thread:
- 4061. ISO: Does anyone have a gingersnap cookie that has crystallized sugar in it? - Dawn_MO - 12:43pm on 10/21/06 (21)
- Oh sheesh, make that crystallized ginger in it. Thanks. [NT] - Dawn_MO - 12:46pm on 10/21/06
- No, but I have a great biscotti that has honey, almonds and candied ginger. - MarilynFL - 12:48pm on 10/21/06
- Is there a difference between candied ginger & crystallized ginger? - AndreainDC - 12:55pm on 10/21/06
- They are the same, Andrea [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:35pm on 10/21/06
- Thanks, Cathy! [NT] - AndreainDC - 9:06pm on 10/21/06
- I would like it... - Dawn_MO - 1:12pm on 10/21/06
- Dawn, Link for Chewy Ginger Snaps from "The Ginger People" [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 1:26pm on 10/21/06
- Dawn, Link for Ultimate Gingersnaps (can't wait to try this) - Sunset Magazine ...> [LINK] - GayR - 1:42pm on 10/21/06
- Dawn, here's a link to one of my favorites, with almond and three kinds of ginger [LINK] - Joe - 2:34pm on 10/21/06
- These all sound great, thanks so much! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 5:18pm on 10/21/06
- Gingersnaps with Crystallized Ginger [LINK] - Meryl - 8:06pm on 10/21/06
- some people also like it for motion sickness or hangovers... [NT] - wildwoods - 12:30am on 10/22/06
- oh, also have a rec for chocolate-ginger cookies if you'd like. [NT] - wildwoods - 12:31am on 10/22/06
- REC: Ginger Spice Cookies - These are great! [LINK] - Debbie_in_GA - 2:42am on 10/22/06
- Yes, these cookies are great...have made them a number of times; the crystallized - ValinFL - 6:51pm on 10/22/06
- Rec. ginger chocolate drops (uses candied ginger, but these are chewy, not snaps) - wildwoods - 6:38pm on 10/22/06
- Thanks everyone. I have copied these for my files... - Dawn_MO - 8:54pm on 10/22/06