Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
wildwoods

oh meryl, you'll like these...chewy, chocolatey, gingery and t&t, Rec. chewy choc gingerbread

Veteran Member
836 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #4061 at 6:33 pm on Oct 22, 2006

though i just realised they don't use candied ginger...but they're still worth making.

1.5 cups plus 1 tbsp ap flour
1 and 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 lb unsalted butter, room temp
1 tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 tsp boiling water
7 oz semisweet chocolate, in 1/4" chunks (hey, here's a good use for my ss choc!)
1/4 cup granulated sugar

line 2 baking sheets with parchment. in med bowl sift together flour, spices and cocoa. in bowl of mixer with paddle, beat butter and ginger (the fresh ginger) on med speed till lightened, about 4 minutes. add brown sugar, beat till combined. add molasses, beat till combined.

in small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. mix in chocolate. turn onto plastic wrap. pat out to a 1" thickness and seal with wrap. chill till firm, 2 hours or overnight.

preheat oven to 325. roll dough into 1.5" balls. place 2" apart on baking sheets and chill 20 min. (think i just rolled balls and kept in bowl in fridge till ready to bake). roll in granulated sugar. bake till surfaces just beging to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating half way through. cool 5 minutes theyn transfer to wire rack to cool. makes 2 dozen.
martha stewart, holiday cookies 2001

i could very calmly go wild.
annie dillard

Other messages in this thread: