Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Barbara in VA

Hi Dawn! Here's my favorite chili recipe and it has cocoa in it! REC: Chili Con Carne

Veteran Member
2567 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #4108 at 10:34 pm on Oct 24, 2006

I made this for the first time in Oct of '90 and have made it every year since then! I have traded ingredients and add ingredients depending on what I have on hand and what I have a taste for at the moment. I have made it vegetarian by adding all kinds of veggies and more beans, I have also used ground turkey i/o beef, it's a very "tweakable" recipe.

Chili Con Carne

1990 Gourmet Annual
(There is a 1990 Chili Con Carne recipe posted on Epi but it is just a bit different AND they have taken out the cocoa!)

3 C chopped onions
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
3 lbs boneless beef chuck, ground coarse in a food processor or by the butcher (sometimes I sub in 1 lb of hot pork sausage)
1/4 C chili powder
1 T cumin
1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T paprika
1 T oregano
1 1/2 T red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce (I usually need a good bit more and some water to to get it to the consistency that we like)
1 C chicken broth
3 T cider vinegar
1 19oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2" pieces (I hate green bell peppers so I have never used them!)
6 scallions trimmed
6 T sour cream

In a kettle cook the onion in the oil, covered, over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is softened, add the garlic and cook the mixture, stirring for 1 minute. Add the meat and cook over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps, for 10 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Add the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, paprika, oregano, red pepper and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, broth and vinegar, bring to a boil and simmer, covered stirring occasionally, for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meat is tender. Add the beans, peppers, some salt and fresh ground pepper, simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender, discard the bay leaf. (The chili will improve in flavor if cooled completely, uncovered, and chilled, covered, overnight. Add more water if necessary when reheating.)Ladel into mugs and garnish each with a scallion and a tablespoon of sour cream. Serves 6 (I think this is just a tad underestimated, that's 1/2 lb meat per person!)

Enjoy!

Other messages in this thread: