Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Pat-NoCal

A few more....

Veteran Member
6283 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #4167 at 1:04 am on Oct 30, 2006

Chicken and Mushrooms

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 chicken thighs, skinned
4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cups whole or sliced small mushrooms
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup snipped flat-leaf parsley
Hot cooked pasta (optional)

In a plastic bag combine the 1/4 cup flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Add 2 or 3 pieces of chicken to the bag at a time. Seal; shake to coat well. In a very large skillet heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in hot oil about 10 minutes or until well browned, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken from skillet, reserving drippings in the skillet. Add onion, mushrooms, sweet pepper, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir for 2
minutes. Add red wine or beef broth and balsamic vinegar. Cook and stir 5 minutes more.

Add undrained tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Return chicken to the skillet; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken; keep warm. Stir together half-and-half or light cream and the 1 tablespoon flour; add to skillet. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve over hot cooked pasta, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings. Per serving: 323 calories, total fat: 13g,

Source: Better Homes & Gardens, Jan. 01

Patís notes: easy and delicious.
Here's one which calls for turkey but works just as well with chicken.

Turkey Baked with Olives (or Chicken Thighs*)

1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, slightly crushed
2-1/2 lbs. boned skinless turkey thighs or drumsticks, all fat and sinews removed
1 cup minced onion
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (drained if oil packed)
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups rich chicken or turkey stock
1/8 tsp red chili flakes
1-1/2 cups black olives such as Nicoise, Picholine or Kalamata
1 tbsp each chopped parsley and/or chives
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in a deep heavy casserole. Over moderate heat saute the garlic cloves until they just begin to brown. Discard garlic and brown the turkey on all sides. Add the onion, sundried tomatoes and rosemary and saute for 2 minutes longer. Add the wine, stock, chiles and olives and cover and cook over very low heat (liquid should just barely simmer) for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until turkey is very tender. Check to make sure there is enough liquid and, if necessary, add a bit more as dish is cooking. Remove some of the fat, if desired, stir in parsley and chives, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Source: John Nash from 97 FoodTV

Patís notes: This is very good. Not sure why itís called ďbakedĒ when itís really simmered but Iím sure it would work well to bake the dish. I used about 1.9 lbs. drumsticks with bone and it only took about an hour and 20 minutes to cook stovetop. Go easy on the chili flakes, I think I used too much (more than 1/8 tsp). Was good served with linguine and caesar salad. *Chicken thighs work well too and then sometimes I add crumbled feta cheese on top of the dish before serving. Chicken takes less time to cook than the turkey. optional: chopped fresh tomato is a nice addition near the end of cooking time.

Chicken Legs, Bell Peppers and Sausage

8 whole legs and thighs (from 4 chickens), separate legs from thighs
flour seasoned with salt and pepper (also added Italian herbs, Sylviaís chicken rub seasoning)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (used olive oil)
16 sweet Italian sausages, halved crosswise
8 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
4 red bell peppers, stems removed, cut into 2-inch strips
4 green bell peppers, stems removed, cut into 2-inch strips
scant 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsp crushed dried rosemary
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a bag shake chicken pieces with flour until lightly coated. Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown the chicken pieces in two batches. Remove to a plate.

Add the sausage pieces to the skillet and cook until well browned. Reserve sausage with chicken.

Reduce heat in skillet. Add garlic, onions, bell peppers, and pepper flakes. Cover the skillet and cook ingredients without browning until soft, about 5 minutes. Add wine, stock and rosemary to skillet. Skim off surface fat. Add reserved chicken and sausage to pan. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes (I covered).

Remove vegetables, chicken and sausage and reserve. Degrease the liquids in the skillet. Boil them to reduce by half. The dish can be made ahead to this point. Before serving, reheat the sauce to a simmer. Add lemon juice and reserved meats and vegetables. Simmer until chicken is warm, about 3 minutes. Taste the sauce and add salt if necessary. Stir in parsley and serve. Serves 8.

Source: Barbara Kafkaís Food for Friends

Patís notes: Used a lot less wine and chicken broth. Delicious chicken.
Good with corn on the cob and Caesar salad.

Chicken Wings with Curry-Yogurt Glaze (Patís note: thighs, drumsticks or legs work great)

Yogurt, curry, and cumin flavors combine in this delicious Indian-inspired appetizer. It
makes terrific cocktail party fare.

1-1/3 cups plain yogurt
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
4 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons curry powder (used Madras)
1-1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 lbs chicken wings (or thighs or legs)

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set
aside 1/2 cup marinade, turning to coat well. Cover with plastic, refrigerate 4 hours or
overnight.

Preheat oven to 350̊F. Transfer chicken to baking sheet. Season with salt. Bake until
tender and crusty, turning and basting with reserved marinade, about 1 hour.

Makes 4 servings.

Source: Epicurious from Bon Appetit Outdoor Entertaining, 4/00
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=105763

Patís notes: Used skinless thighs, marinated about 12 hours and baked on foil-lined jelly-roll pan at 400ļ. Excellent flavor. Was great served with Jungle Rice and a salad. The marinade is good for about 8 to 10 large thighs. Might be good for prawns too.

Moynís notes: I think you could finish them off on the grill... for just a few minutes, but they should slow bake for a maximum flavor. I baked em per instructions, and I usually do chicken at high heat for much less time. However, I ran them under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp them up, a the last minute! So, thus, the answer to your question is: No, I wouldn't grill them! BTW, my thighs were skinless, but the wings, of course, were not! AND, I added more garlic.

Mango Curried Chicken

4 chicken legs (about 2 lbs)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small sweet green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
2 tsp curry powder (I used Madras)
1/2 tsp each ground cumin and salt
1/4 tsp pepper (added dash of cayenne pepper)
2 cups water
1/4 cup mango chutney (I used 3-1/2 tbsp)
1 tbsp tomato paste
optional: toasted coconut to garnish (didnít use)

Remove skin from chicken. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat: brown chicken all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Drain off all but 2 tsp fat from pan. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, rice, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or just until rice starts to brown. Stir in water, chutney and tomato paste.

Nestle chicken in rice mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and rice is tender. Serve garnished with coconut, if using (I didnít use.)

Makes 4 servings
Per serving (about): 405 calories; 8g fat, 31g protein; 51g carbohydrates

Source: Canadian Livingís Best 30 Minutes and Light
Notes from Cookbook: Weíve stretched the 30 minutes in this recipe, but we havenít stretched the truth about how easy this one skillet dish is, how healthful it is with only 8 g fat per serving and what a bargain chicken legs are. And weíre not exaggerating when we say that it will be a hit with hungry diners. Serve with pappadams and a selection of chopped fruit, cucumber, yogurt and chutney. Pappadams are thin, crisp Indian breads made from chickpea flour. To prepare, microwave on high for about 1 minute per pappadam, turning halfway, or until puffed and golden.

Patís note: Delicious and easy. Good served with steamed green beans or a salad. A great one pot dish.
Soy Simmered Chicken

1 whole chicken, skin removed (sometimes I use just whole legs, drumsticks or thighs)
1 tbsp oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/4 cup Sherry or apple juice (I used Sherry)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds to garnish

Brown chicken on all sides, in a heavy Dutch oven. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water, and set aside. Mix all other ingredients together except sesame seeds. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken. Turn down heat and cover. Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set chicken on platter. Stir cornstarch mixture into Dutch oven and cook until sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Pour over chicken and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions. Serve with cooked rice. Serves 4

Source: Dawn/SanDiego

Pat's notes: This is yummy! I often add the green onions and cilantro (approx 1 cup) in the beginning with the sauce instead of sprinkling after chicken is cooked. Sometimes I omit thickening with cornstarch or adding sesame seeds. Is great with steamed rice and salad with crumbled blue cheese and Ranch dressing.
Honeyed Chicken

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup prepared mustard, like Frenchís, Dijon works great too
1 tsp salt
1 to 2 tsp curry powder
optional: 1 tablespoon chutney
2-1/2 to 3 lb. chicken cut up, or use parts you like*

Melt butter in shallow baking dish, stir in honey, mustard, salt and curry. Roll chicken in butter mixture to coat all sides, then arrange, meaty side up, in a single layer in same dish. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until chicken is tender (if using breasts only they may not take the full hour, start checking them after about 30 minutes depending on the size of the pieces). Occasionally baste chicken with mixture in dish.

Patís notes: *I usually use thighs, legs, drumsticks, breasts or drummettes. The drummettes are very nice -- kids love them (adults too). Good served with steamed rice and a tossed green salad or steamed veggie of your choice.

Other messages in this thread: