Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Almond Cracker Toffee
Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #4257 at 12:30 am on Nov 3, 2006
We're going crazy again over the cracker toffee! Easy, easy and perfectly yummy. Great gift item! I did a search to see if anyone had posted it here but nope, so here goes...
Almond Cracker Toffee
1 sleeve (or so) of saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (12 oz) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I've used 1/2 a bag of semi and 1/2 of milk to create stripes)
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15X10 pan with foil and butter liberally. Lay saltine crackers in a single layer across the bottom, breaking the last few to fit.
2. In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar until they blend well. Boil for 2 minutes more then pour over the crackers, Spread the mixture evenly (I use a metal spreader/spatula). Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, lightly saute the sliced almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat with the tbs of butter. (Careful not to overcook!) Set aside. (****I skip this step and use toasted almonds chopped into large and small pieces - I didn't like the greasy almonds.)
4. Remove toffee from oven and top evenly with chocolate chips. Bake for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate to cover (I use the metal spreader again). Top with toasted nuts and lightly tap nuts with the tip of a knife to secure them in the chocolate. Cool completely.
5. Chill for 2 hours. Use the foil to release the toffee. Break into uneven pieces and serve.
I've never tried it but I understand you can make this with matzah. And there is a peanut/peanut butter toffee recipe I haven't made yet that I'd be happy to share, if anyone is interested. momof2
Other messages in this thread:
- 4257. Almond Cracker Toffee - colleenmomof2 - 12:30am on 11/03/06 (3)
- this is such a great easy recipe. Thanks mom.. and welcome. [NT] - AngAk - 2:05am on 11/03/06
- I'm going to try it just 'cos I like your name. [NT] - clofthwld - 5:54am on 11/03/06
- Thanks Colleen - anything with brown sugar has GOT to be good! - DawnNYS - 4:43pm on 11/04/06