Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
wigs

T&T REC: Chocolate Charlotte Russe Cake

Veteran Member
wigs@juno.com
2034 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #4389 at 6:18 pm on Nov 8, 2006

Chocolate Charlotte Russe Cake

(Recipe was given to me by Susie Smith eons ago and again just this year by another friend, June Vinson.)

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup whole milk
6 eggs, separated
1-1/2 cups butter (I use 3 sticks unsalted.)
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
1/8 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsps vanilla extract
3 dozen ladyfingers, split
For garnish: 1 cup heavy cream, whipped; shaved chocolate; broken pistashio nuts

Melt unsweetened chocolate squares on top of double boiler over hot water. Mix together granulated sugar, milk and egg yolks. Add this to the melted chocolate and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly (takes me about 10 minutes). Cool. (I usually put in bowl of cold water and stir often and watch so it doesn't become too firm.) Cream butter well. Add 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and vanilla and cream together thoroughly. Add cooled chocolate mixture and beat well.

In separate clean bowl beat egg whites with salt until soft peak stage; gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar to stiff peak stage. Lighten chocolate mixture by gently stirring in about 1/3 of the beaten egg white mixture and then fold the remaining stiffly beaten egg whites into the lightened chocolate mixture.

Line a deep 9-inch springform pan on the bottom and sides with split lady fingers, cut sides in. (I line the bottom with a parchement paper circle.) Put in alternate layers of 1/3 chocolate mixture and remaining ladyfingers. Chill overnight. Remove sides and bottom of springform and place cake on decorative serving plate or pedestal. Garnish with whipping cream, whipped (I sweeten the whipped cream a bit); shaved dark or semi-sweet chocolate; and broken pistachio nuts. Makes 12 servings.

NOTE from CW: I've made this using either a 9" or a 10" springform pan--either size will work--I've found it takes about 2 dozen ladyfingers for the 9" pan and about 2.5 dozen with the 10" pan. I also cut the cake into 16 slices since it's so rich.

Other messages in this thread: