Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Poached Pears in Red Wine Sauce
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #4419 at 3:48 pm on Nov 10, 2006
I love to serve these for Christmas because they're not too heavy and very showy. Without the cream, they're a great dessert for a vegan menu.
POACHED PEARS IN RED WINE SAUCE
From Bon Appetit, 12/94. Serves 8.
3 cups dry red wine
1 cup orange juice
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cinnamon sticks
8 Bosc pears
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. Cognac
Combine the wine, orange juice, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks in a Dutch oven (or divide between 2 large saucepans). Bring to boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
Peel pears, leaving stems intact. Cut small slice off bottom of each pear so it will stand upright when served. Arrange pears on their sides in pot. Cover and simmer gently until pears are tender but still hold their shape, turning once, about 15 minutes per side. With slotted spoon, remove to a dish, standing them upright.
Boil cooking liquid until thick and reduced to ½ cup, about 9 minutes. Strain into small bowl. Cover and chill sauce and pears separately until cold, at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
Beat cream until soft peaks form. Add cognac and sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with star tip.
Transfer pears to plates in upright position. Spoon red wine sauce over. Pipe whipped cream around pears.
NOTE: I like to add a few strips of orange zest to the poaching liquid along with the juice called for. I’ve never bothered with the pastry bag, and I’ve served it with crème frâiche instead of the whipped cream.
Other messages in this thread:
- 4419. Anyone have a favorite pear recipe? I'm inundated with pears. [NT] - clofthwld - 2:58am on 11/10/06 (14)
- Haven't tried this, but it sounds decadent: Poached Pears w/Gorgonzola Cream & Chocolate Maple Syrup [LINK] - Meryl - 3:25am on 11/10/06
- Another decadent one: Roasted Pear Salad w/Chocolate-Scented Goat Cheese & Chocolate&Roasted Pear... [LINK] - Meryl - 3:49am on 11/10/06
- That should read: Roasted Pear Salad w/ Chocolate-Scented Goat Cheese & Roasted Pear Vinaigrette [NT] - Meryl - 3:51am on 11/10/06
- yes yes yes. roasted pears in a salad are so delicious, also nice with breaded, fried goat cheese. [NT] - wildwoods - 8:41pm on 11/10/06
- This is my CB's favorite, REC: Pear Tatin - Steve2 in LA - 3:52am on 11/10/06
- REC: Ginger-Pear Marmalade (addictive and makes a great gift) [NT] [LINK] - Junebug - 6:14am on 11/10/06
- REC: Pears Poached in Port with Cranberries... - charlie - 1:25pm on 11/10/06
- REC: Autumn Harvest Pie... - charlie - 1:35pm on 11/10/06
- I made pear/peach/apple jam that turned out really good. - Dawn_MO - 1:52pm on 11/10/06
- REC: Poached Pears in Red Wine Sauce - Joe - 3:48pm on 11/10/06
- REC: Sylvia's "Pear, Port and Potato Soup with Stilton" from T&T Hall of Fame... [LINK] - Marianne - 4:25pm on 11/10/06
- There are a few major pear threads back 1 and 2 months ago. Plus Judy pear cake. [NT] - Marg CDN - 5:02pm on 11/10/06
- Must be yet another type of pear. Actually it's Judy's Pear and Walnut Cake. Just had a piece for - Marg CDN - 5:03pm on 11/10/06
- This recipe doesn't use many pears but it is so good. Pancetta Crisps with Goat Cheese and Pear. - Sylvia - 5:31pm on 11/10/06