Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Peanut Brittle - bean making this 30 years
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #4453 at 10:40 pm on Nov 11, 2006
In a large heavy pan combine:
2 cups sugar
1 cup Light Karo Syrup, or similar brand
1 cup water
Boil this mixture until it reaches 238
degrees on candy thermometer.
2 cups raw peanuts
1/4 tsp salt
Continue to cook, stirring frequently.
Continue cooking and stirring until
thermometer reaches 290 degrees - hard crack - remove from the burner and add:
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbs real butter
Quickly stir together and add:
1 tablespoon baking soda. Mix well and, working quickly, pour onto buttered cookie sheet. Use two if you want it super thin. Spread quickly and let cool.
Break into pieces and store in airtight tin or canister. I have doubled this recipe but mostly I make a batch and a half as it fits in the pan better when boiling up.
I have made this with cashews and other nuts, too. Good stuff and not hard on the teeth!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Other messages in this thread:
- 4453. ISO: Recipes that use raw peanuts, especially candies. - Dawn_MO - 3:45pm on 11/11/06 (20)
- Dawn, I use the peanuts that are at the healthy food store to grind for peanut butter.. - MarilynFL - 3:47pm on 11/11/06
- Marilyn, I looked at vanilla extracts yesterday, and they all contained alcohol... - Dawn_MO - 4:25pm on 11/11/06
- You should be OK with the regular vanilla Dawn>>> - marg - 5:37pm on 11/11/06
- marg, could you email me home address/phone (for contact info)? [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:02pm on 11/11/06
- Marilyn, I tried to PM you so I sent it to you'r email,I guess at work, with a concern. [NT] - orchid - 9:01pm on 11/11/06
- Thanks marg, but to err on the safe side I bought a small bottle of - Dawn_MO - 3:10pm on 11/12/06
- Rec: Peanut Brittle - bean making this 30 years - GayleMO - 10:40pm on 11/11/06
- Thanks Gayle. Do you have to remove the red skins from the peanuts? [NT] - Dawn_MO - 11:46pm on 11/11/06
- No, just dump them in like they are, hon. - GayleMO - 11:49pm on 11/11/06
- I was thinking of adding in some cayenne or ground chile pepper, - Dawn_MO - 12:28am on 11/12/06
- Wow, interesting. Sounds goood! Let me know how it turns out and I'll try it, too... - GayleMO - 4:19pm on 11/12/06
- Here ya go...REC: Chocolate Buttercream Fudge (TDF) - GayleMO - 4:24pm on 11/12/06
- chiles are also great in sugar- or honey-glazed pecans... - rvb - 11:43am on 11/15/06
- Thank you GayleMO! I dearly love peanut brittle - this will go into my holiday baskets. [NT] - cheezz - 11:48pm on 11/11/06
- Oops! on the BEAN! ; p [NT] - GayleMO - 11:50pm on 11/11/06
- Hope you enjoy, cheezz! - GayleMO - 11:54pm on 11/11/06
- sounds like my favorite from See's - it has just the right crunch. [NT] - cheezz - 5:15pm on 11/12/06
- Do you like the Butterscotch Kisses from See's, Cheezz? - GayleMO - 7:03pm on 11/12/06
- No, that's one I've never tried.... LOVE caramel but don't like marshmallows :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:27am on 11/13/06
- Gayle, I made your peanut brittle, it was great. I made a second half-batch and added cayenne to it - Dawn_MO - 10:12pm on 11/12/06