Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My Dad, the old sugar manufacturer. If you want a definition various sugars....
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #504 at 6:35 pm on Jan 19, 2006
My Dad was a sugar manufacturer all of his adult life. In fact, although he enlisted to serve in WW2, the government determined that he was critical to the continuing production during the war and would not allow him to leave. Not long before his life ended, I finally asked him to distinguish for me, the various types of sugars as he knew that business inside and out.
I grew up in the land of beet sugars but cane sugars were brought in as well, to create the other varieties which beets cannot. Oddly enough, I am mildly allergic to cane sugar and 'import' the beet variety whenever I can find it.
Now I have found the little note I made and at last got it into my reference materials. Here it is if you are interested.
∙ icing sugar - 11% cornstarch plus regular sugar pulverized
∙ berry - finer than fruit sugar by use of a finer screen
∙ confectionerís - next finest to icing but has no cornstarch
∙ finest in order: Icing
∙ Browns: Demerara - has the most molasses. Sourced from cane
Golden Brown - raw cane with some molasses removed
Brown - cane with a little molasses still in
Cube sugar has some clear syrup. Itís pressed into a cake and heated.
Other messages in this thread:
- 504. My Dad, the old sugar manufacturer. If you want a definition various sugars.... - Marg CDN - 6:35pm on 01/19/06 (7)
- Marg that is so interesting! Maybe you can clear up a question I've always had... - Mimi - 6:53pm on 01/19/06
- Well, he would have known. He also consulted to some US plants. Just wish he were around to ask. [NT] - Marg CDN - 4:24pm on 01/20/06
- Hey I had a landlord in Santa Monica CA from Hawaii - FoodMuse - 9:26pm on 01/19/06
- Thanks Marg, this is interesting...I bought a large bag of.... - joanie - 10:13pm on 01/19/06
- What I imagine is so great about your story, was when you found the note and had such a wonderful (m - barb_b - 11:07pm on 01/19/06
- I think it's actually so unfortunate that we don't have more discussions like this with our folks - Marg CDN - 4:36pm on 01/20/06
- I too feel like this and am so blessed to have my 80 yr old here.... - joanie - 8:48pm on 01/20/06