Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Julie R - WA||
Another T&T fave - rec: Crockpot Southwestern Pumpkin Soup (aka Korma Soup) - from S.O.U.P.S
Joined: Nov 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #4818 at 5:07 pm on Dec 6, 2006
<b>*** Crockpot Southwestern Pumpkin Soup (aka Korma Soup) - from Michael Congdon's S.O.U.P.S *** </b>
Almost ridiculously easy to make, this soup is based on a recipe from "S.O.U.P.S. - Seattle's Own Undeniably Perfect Soups" by Michael Congdon and is my absolute favorite soup. Although it is titled as "southwestern," this soup tastes very much like my favorite Indian dish of Chicken Korma, a mild, flavorful, non-spicy curry. I also use the soup as a baking sauce for chicken breasts, thighs, and cubed tofu - very tasty!
time to make 3¼ hours 10 min prep
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
1/8 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
1 teaspoon vietnamese ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
4 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 (8 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
grated cheddar cheese, for garnish
toasted cashews, for garnish
1. In a hot skillet, toast the cloves, coriander seeds, and peppercorns.
2. Add the ground spices to the whole ones in the skillet- the cumin, chile powders, cinnamon, garlic powder, and nutmeg, and toast the mixture over high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until the spices begin to smoke.
3. Remove from heat, let cool, and grind together to a powder (an electric coffee grinder works well for this); set aside.
4. Pour the stock, half and half, and evaporated milk into the crock pot; stir well, cover, and turn on high.
5. Put the pureed pumpkin into a large bowl, then add the maple syrup, salt, and the now-powdered spice mixture; use a whisk to incorporate the mixture well.
6. Add the pumpkin mixture to the liquids in the crockpot, whisking it well to make sure there are no lumps.
7. Cover and let simmer on high for 2 to 3 hours.
8. Garnish servings with grated cheddar cheese and toasted cashew pieces.
9. Many thanks to Michael for creating this wonderful soup! :)
Link: Crockpot Southwestern Pumpkin Soup (aka Korma Soup) - from Michael Congdon's S.O.U.P.S
Life is grand!
Other messages in this thread:
- 4818. Could someone direct me to Cathy's final tweaked version of Crockpot Cassolet? Thanks! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 6:41pm on 12/05/06 (40)
- here is the link. It's in T&T one dish meals and the tweaked version. SOOOO good. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 6:53pm on 12/05/06
- We were posting at the same time. Ang, have to tell you - Pat-NoCal - 6:59pm on 12/05/06
- Sooo lovely in the moonlight and snow this week. Will try for a pic. Thanks. [NT] - AngAk - 7:13pm on 12/05/06
- I believe this link has the latest tweaked version. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 6:54pm on 12/05/06
- Hooray! So excited, I have a NEW crockpot! Never had one before and would love your T&T recipes - Heather_in_SF - 8:19pm on 12/05/06
- Thanks Pat and Ang! Heather, I will look up some and post for you. [NT] - Dawn_MO - 8:55pm on 12/05/06
- be sure to check out all the recipes in one dish and also stupidly simple, soups/stews - AngAk - 9:17pm on 12/05/06
- Heather, you will love your crockpot...Recipe for Pepper Steak - RoseM - 12:13am on 12/06/06
- Rose, I think the bottom of your recipe is missing [NT] - AngAk - 12:15am on 12/06/06
- thanks Ang, I hit the wrong button before I was done. [NT] - RoseM - 12:17am on 12/06/06
- oops rest of recipe for pepper steak - RoseM - 12:15am on 12/06/06
- Rose, you can go into your first post and edit to add this to the bottom. [NT] - AngAk - 2:04am on 12/06/06
- Crockpot Pork Chops with Apricots and Prunes - MarkinHouston - 12:48am on 12/06/06
- Sharon's Ono Barbecued Beef [LINK] - SusanKentfieldCa - 7:45pm on 12/06/06
- And Smokehouse Chicken [LINK] - SusanKentfieldCa - 7:51pm on 12/06/06
- REC: Curried Beef and Potato Stew - Dawn_MO - 9:06pm on 12/05/06
- REC: African Style Braised Chicken in Peanut Sauce - Dawn_MO - 9:07pm on 12/05/06
- REC: Olga's Mom's Smothered Pork Chops - Dawn_MO - 9:08pm on 12/05/06
- I swear I can smell this cooking through my monitor----mmmmmm [NT] - AngAk - 9:23pm on 12/05/06
- Me too Ang! This sounds wonderful. I'm looking for easy meals because I'm having - Barb - 9:40pm on 12/05/06
- REC: Crockpot Arroz Con Pollo (Spanish Chicken with Rice) - Dawn_MO - 9:10pm on 12/05/06
- REC: Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken or Turkey Meatloaf - Dawn_MO - 9:12pm on 12/05/06
- I'm trying this tomorrow. Thanks Dawn. [NT] - AngAk - 9:18pm on 12/05/06
- REC: Crockpot Home-Style Jamaican Chicken - Dawn_MO - 9:21pm on 12/05/06
- REC: Spicy Stuffed Peppers - Dawn_MO - 9:29pm on 12/05/06
- OK that's it- never had a crock pot and never wanted one. After reading these recipes I'm buying - CynUpstateNY - 10:34pm on 12/05/06
- Might I suggest you visit "Habitat for Humanity or some church thrift shop? I - MarilynFL - 10:46pm on 12/05/06
- I bought this one for myself and my step-daughter, and we really like it. [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 11:43pm on 12/05/06
- Do you have to make a HUGE recipe or can you do 2- 4 servings? [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:53am on 12/06/06
- It depends on what I am making. I like to freeze soups - Dawn_MO - 6:58pm on 12/06/06
- Lots of stores have the basic Crock Pot on sale now for 9.99 [NT] - AngAk - 12:13am on 12/06/06
- Great Crockpot Cookbooks - RoseM - 12:22am on 12/06/06
- I just bought a 4 quart rival oval crockpot from target for 17.99 on sale. - audball - 2:55pm on 12/06/06
- I have 3 slow cookers of different sizes. Very handy! I use them a lot. [NT] - Julie R - WA - 4:57pm on 12/06/06
- REC: Crockpot Sweet 'N' Snappy Beef Stew [NT] [LINK] - Yama D - 6:02pm on 12/06/06
- this is my favorite. [NT] - AngAk - 9:11pm on 12/06/06
- Wow, what a treasure-trove of recipes!! Thank you everyone! Now, to decide which to make first! - Heather_in_SF - 10:12pm on 12/06/06