Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Rec: Wassail Bowl
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #5008 at 6:07 pm on Dec 19, 2006
Real Wass-Ale! No Orange Juice! No Apple Juice! No TANG!!!!
No Betty Crocker dumbing down history for perky General Foods holiday shilling of their products!
Actual ALE in Wass-Ale (go figure)!!!
Recipe compliments of Pat formerly of Tokyo now in California from many years ago. This is a treasured tradition for Christmas at our house:
In a large saucepan combine:
2 cups water
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 inch stick of cinnamon
6 whole cloves
6 allspice berries
4 coriander seeds
4 cardamom seeds
Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it for 10 minutes.
2 quarts ale
2 bottles Sherry or Madeira
4 cups sugar
Stir and heat the brew but do not let it boil.
Beat 12 egg yolks until they are pale in color and fold in 12 egg whites beaten until stiff. Gradually strain half the ale and Sherry mixture over the eggs.
Turn the brew into a warmed silver (heatproof) punch bowl.
Bring the remaining ale and Sherry to the boiling point and strain it into the egg mixture.
Add 1 cup warmed cognac and 12 roasted lady apples and serve hot.
The apples may be served with the Wassail.
Other messages in this thread:
- 5008. Rec: Saffron Eggnog---Ho! Ho! Ho! - Richard in Cincy - 5:54pm on 12/19/06 (7)
- Rec: Wassail Bowl - Richard in Cincy - 6:07pm on 12/19/06
- Rec: Flaming Prussian Artillery Punch - Richard in Cincy - 6:32pm on 12/19/06
- Richard - Why don't you bottle some and I'll pick some up! - Tessie in Cincy - 6:47pm on 12/19/06
- LOL We have 1 munchkin at the moment... - Richard in Cincy - 6:58pm on 12/19/06
- LOL! The title of this recipe cracks me up! ... - RuthAB - 7:11pm on 12/19/06
- Oh but Ruth, I gave subs... - Richard in Cincy - 8:14pm on 12/19/06
- I had to do a google search for the sugar cone. I have never seen a>>> - orchid - 7:22pm on 12/19/06