Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Richard in Cincy

Rec: Flaming Prussian Artillery Punch

Veteran Member
5285 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5008 at 6:32 pm on Dec 19, 2006

or Krambambulli

Begin the punch the day before you plan to serve and assemble when the guests are gathered.

10 whole cloves
2-inch stick cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
zest of 1 orange (cut off in strips--use a vegetable peeler)
zest of 2 lemons (same as above)
2 quarts white burgundy or Moselle
18 whole blanched almonds
18 pitted prunes (use the lemon scented ones
for extra flavor)
2 inch slice fresh pineapple, skin, eyes, and core removed
1/4 pound golden raisins
3 1/2 oz. candied orange peel, cut into small dice
18 pitted cherries from homemade Morello Cherry Liqueur (or soak the cherries in cognac for a couple days)
1 quart strong black tea, sweetened with 1 cup sugar
1 large sugar cone
3 cups white rum
1 cup cognac
freshly squeezed juice from the orange and lemons

6-qrt flameproof punch bowl.
2 Prussian officers with swords
(since most of us won't have the officers on hand who cross their swords over the punch bowl where the sugar cone is deposited, doused with hot rum and cognac, and ignited, substitute a coarse-mesh metal sieve to place over the punch bowl or two long metal skewers crossed like swords.)

In a saucepan place cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange rind, rind of 1 lemon (note: you have rind of 1 lemon in reserve), and 2 cups white wine. Bring to boil, remove from heat, cover, set out overnight.

Next day: Preheat oven to 350F. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and dry in the oven for 10- 15 minutes, until pale golden and fragrant (I do this in a dry skillet--careful!). When cool, stuff one in each prune. Cut the pineapple and remaining lemon rind into 1-inch pieces.

Twenty minutes before assembling the punch:
arrange the lemon rind, prunes, pineapple, raisins, candied orange peel, and cherries in the punch bowl. Make the tea, keeping it hot by wrapping the pot in a towel (do not keep on heat and make the tea bitter).

Strain the infused wine into a 3 qrt saucepan, discarding the spices. Add the remaining white wine, bring to a point just below a boil and pour into a large warmed pitcher. Heat rum and cognac over very low heat in a saucepan, place in small decorative pitcher.

Final Assembly:

Have all the ingredients ready on the table in nice containers (silver pitchers and the like). Place the sugar in the sieve and set the sieve over the punch bowl or cross metal skewers over punch bowl and place the sugar cone atop. Pour the rum/cognac over the sugar and ignite with a long match.

Turn the lights down before you light the sugar. Then wait for everyone to Oooooh and AAahhhhhhhhh as your spectacular punch bowl sends blue flames dancing through the air while the sugar melts and trickles into the bowl and the flame dies out. Turn up the lights, add the hot wine, orange, and lemon juices, and tea to the bowl, mix with a ladle. Serve the fruits and punch into warmed glasses on saucers with spoons. I get out my antique ruby glass punch cups and saucers for this.

This punch disappears quickly since everyone is intrigued by it (although I must say guests at my house have become accustomed to me igniting the punch bowl). It is not only a tour de
force to assemble and present, it is delicious.
Definitely a way to impress your friends!

Other messages in this thread: