Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Marianne

Joe, here's another idea...Collard Green Quiche...

Veteran Member
1539 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5019 at 7:58 pm on Dec 20, 2006

This recipe, from Family Circle in 1985, credits the recipe to Dean Irby, a theatrical director and lecturer at Hunter College in New York City.

1 unbaked 9-inch homemade pie shell OR: 9-inch, store-bought frozen deep-dish pie shell

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped collard greens

1 medium-sized onion, chopped

1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1/4 teaspoon leaf tarragon, crumbled

1 1/4 cups half-and-half

4 eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to hot (425)
2. Bake pie shell in preheated hot (425) oven for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Lower oven temperature to moderate (350).
3. Cook collard greens following package directions. Drain well. Squeeze out excess liquid.
4. Saute onion and green pepper in butter in large skillet until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in collard greens and tarragon.
5. Combine half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper in container of electric blender. Whirl until mixed.
6. Spread collard green mixture into bottom of pie shell. Sprinkle with cheese. Stir lightly to mix. Pour egg mixture over. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
7. Bake in preheated moderate oven (350) for 40 minutes or until mixture is set and quiche is lightly browned on top. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Joe, use your neighbor's recipe to cook your collards (her recipe is the classic Southern way to cook them), then use them in the quiche in place of frozen ones.

I haven't made this recipe in years, but I remember that it was delicious, and I'm going to go buy a bunch of greens today and make it again.

BTW, did your neighbor sprinkle a little hot pepper vinegar on the greens before she ate them? This is a MUST with greens in the South!

Enjoy!

Marianne in LA (Lower Alabama)

"A brandy for the Chef!"

Other messages in this thread: