Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here ya go, Lin - Dark Chocolate Mousse - (I'll email you about other stuff later tonight).
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #5100 at 11:25 pm on Dec 27, 2006
DARK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (Cook's Ilustrated recommends Ghirardelli 60%) *See note below if using 62-70% cacao) (I used Ghirardelli 60%)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, Dutch processed
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
5 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon brandy
2 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, chilled
1. Melt first 5 ingredients in medium heatproof bowl over saucepan with 1 inch of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth, remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolks, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar & salt in bowl until mixture lightens in color and thickens slightly. Pour melted chocolate mix into egg mix and whisk until combined. Let cool until just warmer than room temp.
3. In clean bowl, whisk/beat egg whites until frothy. (I used a stand mixer). Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Stir 1/4 beaten egg whites into chocolate mix to lighten it; gently fold remaining egg whites until a few white streaks remain.
4. Whip heavy cream until it begins to thicken. (I used a stand mixer). Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form. Using rubber spatula, fold whipped cream into mousse until no white streaks remain. Spoon into 6-8 individual serving dishes or goblets. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until set and firm, at least 2 hrs (can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hrs).
*NOTE: Premium variation - 62-70% cacao needs 3 tablespoons sugar, 7 tablespoons water and 3 large eggs separated
Raspberry variation - 4 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons Chambord
Orange variation - 3 strips orange zest, 4 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
From Cook's Illustrated
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 5100. New Year's Eve Suggestions? - Earnie - 6:22am on 12/27/06 (24)
- My old reliable make-ahead dressy Holiday vegan workhorse: Poached pears in red wine sauce. [LINK] - Joe - 7:25am on 12/27/06
- The pecan stuffed dates posted above by cheez would be easy and different. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 8:00pm on 12/27/06
- These wonton flower cups posted on EPI sounded easy . [LINK] - AngAk - 8:05pm on 12/27/06
- I have a killer recipe for Dark Chocolate Mousse from Cook's Illustrated - let me know if you want - Meryl - 8:23pm on 12/27/06
- A Raspberry Fool would be great also. [NT] - Meryl - 8:29pm on 12/27/06
- Or a trifle. [NT] - AngAk - 9:06pm on 12/27/06
- I would love it, please! [NT] - Lin_in_Seattle - 10:44pm on 12/27/06
- Here ya go, Lin - Dark Chocolate Mousse - (I'll email you about other stuff later tonight). - Meryl - 11:25pm on 12/27/06
- Thanks, Meryl....this looks really good! [NT] - Lin_in_Seattle - 12:36am on 12/28/06
- Perfect! Thanks Meryl, I came searching for a choc mousse recipe and ta da! - Heather_in_SF - 7:53am on 12/31/06
- You're welcome, Heather - I'm making this for tonight also! [NT] - Meryl - 6:33pm on 12/31/06
- Do these need to be finger foods, no utensils needed? [NT] - AngAk - 9:05pm on 12/27/06
- How about making Easy Pineapple Pie? Being in - DawnNYS - 9:59pm on 12/27/06
- This sounds really refreshing. Maybe she can find some tart shells. [NT] - AngAk - 11:21pm on 12/27/06
- How about this Luscious Lemon Cheesecake that Pat posted? Sounds wonderful. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 1:12am on 12/28/06
- How about little profiteroles? Super quick stove top, then baking... fill with whipped cream - cheezz - 1:52am on 12/28/06
- a trifle?? no baking involved, and you can make it ahead of time. [NT] - cheezz - 1:57am on 12/28/06
- Forgot to say - Earnie - 3:12am on 12/28/06
- How about.... [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:40pm on 12/28/06
- another idea...how about chocolate fondue....very popular and guests will basically - Pat-NoCal - 4:49pm on 12/28/06
- Earnie, why not purchase some local delicacies to serve? - CathyZ from Kauai - 9:51pm on 12/28/06
- Exactly - Earnie - 6:06am on 12/30/06
- This one - Earnie - 6:08am on 12/30/06