Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
ISO Richard in Cincy: I finaly got around to your Crispy Duck Everytime
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #5170 at 6:21 am on Jan 3, 2007
It was wonderful, with a potato galette, green beans, and carrots with peas. But I have a question about the presentation:
For the preliminary roasting the night before, I split it down the breast(s) as directed, but the wings were kind of in the way and it was hard to flatten it. The duck was lying on its back, propped up on its elbows, blowse split open with breasts propped upwards (see image).
Not a problem, but when I flipped it over tonight to finish the cooking and crisp the skin, I thought it looked a little like a murder victim--face down with arms behind its back.
I'm wondering: do you butterfly the duck or do you cut it in serving portions first?
The flavor and crisp skin were wonderful! I'm thinking next time I might butterly it by cutting down the backbone, maybe even removing the backbone to fashion some sort of sauce from it and the giblets. I think the duck would lie flatter and the final roast would be breast-side-up.
Despite my presentation issues, it was the most successful roasted duck I've ever attempted.
Link: Richard's Crisp Roasted Duck
Other messages in this thread:
- 5170. ISO Richard in Cincy: I finaly got around to your Crispy Duck Everytime [LINK] [IMAGE] - Joe - 6:21am on 01/03/07 (36)
- hey joe! it took a bit of doing to dig up your duck image, but it was worth the fight,,, [NT] [IMAGE] - rvb - 12:18pm on 01/03/07
- Thanks, rvb, for the re-imaging. [NT] - Joe - 4:32pm on 01/03/07
- hahahahahahahahahahahah! [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:29pm on 01/03/07
- more ? for richard: do you ever add herbs? [NT] - rvb - 12:44pm on 01/03/07
- Yay! - Richard in Cincy - 1:56pm on 01/03/07
- Thanks for the clarification. Are you talking about a sauce make in the roasing pan? - Joe - 4:27pm on 01/03/07
- Yes... - Richard in Cincy - 4:57pm on 01/03/07
- Thanks! - Joe - 5:01pm on 01/03/07
- or... - Richard in Cincy - 5:30pm on 01/03/07
- do you make a seperate duck stock or add it the chicken bones? - Randi - 6:55pm on 01/03/07
- one idea - - - clearly recycled - rvb - 8:41pm on 01/03/07
- Randi, you can mix and match bones at will, but some stocks might be too strong for a delicate dish, - Joe - 11:25pm on 01/03/07
- i agree. [NT] - rvb - 11:49pm on 01/03/07
- Oh my goodness!!! I'm salivating! [NT] - orchid - 7:01pm on 01/03/07
- Oh don't worry, I saved those bones! I see 2007 shaping up here as the year of the stockpot. [NT] - Joe - 11:19pm on 01/03/07
- Oh again, a few weeks ago I cooked Coq au Vin for 14 and Beef Bourguignon for 12, 2 days later... - Joe - 6:35am on 01/04/07
- Steam iron? For the onions? do tell. [NT] - AngAk - 7:14pm on 01/04/07
- I was referring to Mark's under-appreciated pheasant pot pie in thread 5164... - Joe - 9:24pm on 01/04/07
- Oooooh, dummy me. Now I get it. It's that year older thing. [NT] - AngAk - 10:33pm on 01/04/07
- I'm a year older too... - Joe - 12:12am on 01/05/07
- What date is your birthday, Joe? It would be funny if we have the same one but, of course... - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:18am on 01/05/07
- It was Dec.12. When was yours? [NT] - Joe - 12:21am on 01/05/07
- Whew. That would be too much of a coincidence. Mine is the 18th, fellow Sagg. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:10am on 01/05/07
- Well, belated besh wishes on your FIRST 59th! [NT] - Joe - 3:12am on 01/05/07
- Actually, it does get worse, you just don't remember. LOL [NT] - AngAk - 3:20am on 01/05/07
- Thanks, pal, nice to know,. Today was my day to get a lot of pesky things done.... - Joe - 3:41am on 01/05/07
- That's it, you're officially initiated into the 50 club [NT] - AngAk - 4:31am on 01/05/07
- Er, um, thanks? [NT] - Joe - 4:42am on 01/05/07
- Ack, you are a masochist! - Richard in Cincy - 1:09am on 01/05/07
- How did you know I peel chestnuts too? [NT] - Joe - 1:29am on 01/05/07
- A question that I've had for 2 months now...I cannot find canned pearl onions anymore. We don't - Marg CDN - 9:41pm on 01/04/07
- I just saw canned ones today - I'll send you some if you like. [NT] - LisainLA - 9:45pm on 01/04/07
- Thank you Lisa. I'd love the name of them so I can check on their availability in Canada or get our - Marg CDN - 11:08pm on 01/04/07
- OK, I'll take a closer look on my next trip. [NT] - LisainLA - 11:17pm on 01/04/07
- Yes, it is fantastic - SueYoung - 3:40pm on 01/03/07
- thanks richard! your duck recipe inspired me.... - rvb - 10:45pm on 01/03/07