Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Crispy Potato Galette...I tried 2 new side dishes last night to go with leftover roast chicken.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #572 at 4:05 pm on Jan 24, 2006
This was very good, sort of a glorified Potatoes Anna. I was a little concerned about the flipping, but I sprayed the sheet with cooking spray and it slid right back in the skillet. I used a 10-inch skillet, a 12-inch would have been too large. The recipe is from Epi.
CRISPY POTATO GALETTE
Potatoes are a must on any bistro menu. Here, they are grated and layered with cheese to form a large pancake-like galette.
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 ounces chilled soft herb cheese (such as Boursin; half of 5.2-ounce package), crumbled
3 green onions, white and green parts chopped separately
Line large bowl with kitchen towel. Coarsely grate potatoes into towel. Enclose potatoes in towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using metal spatula, press half of potatoes over bottom of skillet in even layer. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Leaving 1/2 inch plain border, sprinkle cheese and white parts of onions over potatoes. Press remaining potatoes over filling in even layer. Cook until crisp and golden on bottom, pressing occasionally with spatula, about 10 minutes. Place rimless baking sheet over skillet and invert galette onto sheet. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to same skillet. Slide galette, browned side up, into skillet. Cook until crisp and golden on second side, about 10 minutes longer. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Turn out onto baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm on sheet in 350°F oven until crisp, about 15 minutes.) Transfer to platter. Cut into 8 wedges. Top with green parts of onions.
Makes 4 servings.
Link: Crispy Potato Galette
Other messages in this thread:
- 572. Rec: Crispy Potato Galette...I tried 2 new side dishes last night to go with leftover roast chicken. [LINK] - Curious1 - 4:05pm on 01/24/06 (8)
- Rec: Balsamic-Dressed Roasted Beets... - Curious1 - 4:09pm on 01/24/06
- Peel the beets before roasting them uncovered. - Durward - 8:21pm on 01/25/06
- I make something very similar - deb-in-MI - 4:54pm on 01/24/06
- That is one big galette. Very creative...thanks Curious. [NT] - Marg CDN - 5:29pm on 01/24/06
- This sounds so good - the roasted beets too! I'm going to try these [NT] - RuthAB - 2:55am on 01/25/06
- ...the next time I do a roast chicken. Thanks! [NT] - RuthAB - 2:55am on 01/25/06